Rad Rover 5 Rear Rack

stevenxl

Hey folks,

I was wondering if the Rad Rover 5 rear rack is meant to be used with any brand of panniers, or if it is only compatible with the panniers on the rad-rover website.

I have a Topeak rear rack on my other (non-ebike) bike, and ideally I'd like to get a rear-rack from Topeak for the Rad Rover. That way, I can use my accessories on the two bikes. However, I have noticed that some rear racks that would fit a Rad Rover do not have anything that the bottom of the panniers could hook to, and I don't like the idea of the panniers just dangling there.

theemartymac

if i recall correctly, that stock rack option uses 16mm tubes which are relatively rare. You can get a few brands that make the larger locks like Ortlieb and here in Canada MEC makes a few that expand to 16mm.

Alternately, if you have a pannier you absolutely love, you can buy 16mm locking hook kits on amazon for pretty cheap and just have them riveted or sewn on.

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
This hack has been posted here many times but the idea may be of help in your case. A hack saw, screw driver and pliers along with about $10 in parts available at any home store are all that is required. It may be possible to use this idea to make an adapter for the Rad 5 rack which will allow the use of Topeak accessories.

In my case, I have a collection of Bontrager bags & accessories which I use on my Trek MTB's. In order to use them on my Pedego Platinum interceptor rack, I made this adapter:
I cut the top off an old Bontrager rack and attached it to the Pedego rack using insulated cable clamps.

09592_A_1_BackRack_Deluxe_La.jpg P1070096a.jpg P1070100a.jpg P1070101a.jpg

It's a lot stronger than it looks and I actually use it to lift the bike up onto a bike rack.

If the tubing on the Rad rack is too large for Topeak (or any other brand) pannier clamps, A similar adapter can be made using 1/2" aluminum tubing. It can be attached to the Rad rack using the same cable clamps.
P1070445a.jpg P1070447a.jpg P1070449a.jpg P1070456a.jpg P1070457b.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Rad 5 rack but it may be possible to make a lower attachment point for the panniers. Another piece of tubing could be attached to the seat stays and / or the rack upright supports using the same cable clamps.