Rad Rover vs. NCM Aspen

tommymac

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and just started shopping for an ebike.
I'm leaning towards the RAD Rover as the large community appeals to me.
Coming from escooters, these groups provide lots of advice and fun.
There's currently a sale on the NCM Aspen, I'm wondering if anyone would strongly recommend this over the RAD?
It's now $100CAD cheaper than the RAD and in stock! The RAD also appeals to me because of the standard battery. If my wife decides to buy a different RAD model, it's convenient to has a spare battery if both bikes aren't in use.

Feel free to recommend other bikes. I'm in the Montreal area. Although, I'll probably only ride city bike paths and some grass parks. I chose a fat bike for the fun factor.

Thanks!

Timpo

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and just started shopping for an ebike.
I'm leaning towards the RAD Rover as the large community appeals to me.
Coming from escooters, these groups provide lots of advice and fun.
There's currently a sale on the NCM Aspen, I'm wondering if anyone would strongly recommend this over the RAD?
It's now $100CAD cheaper than the RAD and in stock! The RAD also appeals to me because of the standard battery. If my wife decides to buy a different RAD model, it's convenient to has a spare battery if both bikes aren't in use.

Feel free to recommend other bikes. I'm in the Montreal area. Although, I'll probably only ride city bike paths and some grass parks. I chose a fat bike for the fun factor.

Thanks!
You're absolutely right.
When you own an ebike, inevitably you will have questions and encounter problems.

I own Juiced CrossCurrent Air, just like Rad Power Forum, Juiced Forum is one of the biggest forum on EBR and found that having a big online community really helps, at least you would know that there are somebody who had the same problem and not just that, just sharing general ideas as well.

If you value online community so that you can ask people, NCM and Rad Power are no comparison. If you want to buy an NCM.. I don't know how much online replies you will get.

NCM Forum
27 threads, 227 messages

Rad Power Forum
825 threads, 10,300 messages

As far as the bike goes..

NCM Aspen
-Reention Dorado 505mm battery casing is more common, which means, when you need to replace your battery, you can buy one from different ebike companies. More option the better.
-NCM has better components than Rad, such as shifter, deraillur, etc.
-The Aspen Plus comes with hydraulic disc brakes (instead of mechanical disc brakes) for extra cost.

Rad Rover
-Way more aftermarket support. Most notably Bolton and Electro Bike World have the high power controller kit that allows you to give you way more power. If you like modifying your ebike, Rad Power has way more options.
-The Rad Power uses proprietary battery case, which means you are (generally) stuck with Rad Power battery. This is not to say it is impossible to put better batteries from other companies doing some custom work, but it won't be bolt-on.

Also, I believe NCM and Rad Power can both be adjusted to 40km/h from the factory.
However, the I believe the NCM has 18A controller and Rad Power has 15A controller, so NCM will have more advantage in terms of power
(That said, because of Rad Power's big aftermarket support, there is 35A upgrade available)

plepper

I too was in the same boat and wound up getting a NCM Moscow Plus. This is my first Ebike and couldn't be happier Id look at the Aspen Plus if you're set on a fat bike as the hydro brakes, better drivetrain, and more powerful battery are more than worth the xtra cost up front. Rads are great bikes but if you add the cost of the component upgrades the NCM looks like the better deal to me.