RadRover chain

Tars Tarkas

The RadRover uses an EMC Z7 chain. I've got enough miles on my bike I wouldn't mind having a spare chain on the shelf. I'm comfortable working with chains but I know next to nothing about chain sizes. I'm wondering what other chains are compatible. I have no complaints about the EOM EMC but wonder if there might be something better out there. How does on know -- is there a chart somewhere that cross-tabs chains pr provides a good general education?

The EMC Z7 is 1/2" x 3/32", 116 links. The Shimano CN-HG71 6/7/8-Speed Chain says it comes with 116 links but I can't find anywhere that gives the link dimensions.

Any help, comments?

Thanks,

TT

mrgold35

How many miles on your rover? I have about +3500 miles on each of my two 2016 Rovers. I've haven't had any issues with the chains; but, it would be nice to know my options if I do (or just routine preventive maint).

Tars Tarkas

I'm not having any issues; I'd like to learn a little bit about chains and take a look at what's out there before I have a problem that needs solving right away..

So, I guess no one knows anymore than me...

Paulkaul

I replace the chain on my RadCity about every 700 to 1000 miles. So far I've been using a KMC Z51/Z8.1 chain and have been very happy with it. This chain is about 10 bucks on Amazon.

Thomas Jaszewski

I'm not having any issues; I'd like to learn a little bit about chains and take a look at what's out there before I have a problem that needs solving right away..
Chains will all be 1/2" x 3/32" when specified for 6/7/8 speed bikes. Any other sizing would be unusual.
I went with Connex Whipperman chains. Tough as nails and outlast any other. Shop around to find better pricing!

Last edited:

Handlebars

So, I guess no one knows anymore than me...
If you lose the chain you can still use the throttle though, right?

Tars Tarkas

I replace the chain on my RadCity about every 700 to 1000 miles. So far I've been using a KMC Z51/Z8.1 chain and have been very happy with it. This chain is about 10 bucks on Amazon.
I haven't measured my chain in a while, but that seems pretty frequent. You're right though, for 10 of 15 bucks why not keep ahead of it!

TT

Tars Tarkas

Chains will all be 1/2" x 3/32" when specified for 6/7/8 speed bikes. Any other sizing would be unusual.
I went with Connex Whipperman chains. Tough as nails and outlast any other. Shop around to find better pricing!
Good info. Thanks.

TT

Thomas Jaszewski

I would hope there would be some fairly obvious signs of wear before it gets to that point.
Sure using a simple tool.

better yet,