Raleigh and Rambo e-bikes at Costco (No Longer Available)

PineNut

Costco has the Raleigh Talus e-bike for $1100. MSRP is $1700. This model has a Suntour rear hub motor, Suntour XCM suspension fork, Tektro hydraulic brakes, 410Wh battery, and 9-speed Shimano Altus shifter. However, some user reviews mention broken/cracked battery cases during shipment due to packaging. At least Costco has a great return policy and Raleigh has good support too.

Raleigh Talus at Costco

They also offer a Rambo with a Bafang 750W BBSH02 mid-drive motor for $2000. Costco calls the model an "R750 G3" but it appears to be very similar to the Rambo Savage which is currently listed at $2400. The Costco version also throws in front and rear luggage racks, "saddlebags", and fenders.

Rambo R750 G3 at Costco

BrianK

They also offer a Rambo with a Bafang 750W BBSH02 mid-drive motor for $2000. Costco calls the model an "R750 G3" but it appears to be very similar to the Rambo Savage which is currently listed at $2400. The Costco version also throws in front and rear luggage racks, "saddlebags", and fenders.

Rambo R750 G3 at Costco
I just picked up a Rambo R750 G3 a couple weeks ago. A local archery shop had been selling them as hunting e bikes but had gotten out of carrying them and wanted it gone so I got it for $1200. I changed the front sprocket to 46t, put 30 (max) psi in the Kenda Juggernauts, an adjustable riser and suspension seat post on it, mud flaps and rear luggage rack, and it’s functioning well for me as a back roads bike.

Browneye

$1099? Good. Cheap. Bike.
I'm not a fat-tire fan, so the Raleigh works. Ask your LBS if they'll service it for you if you need a tuneup or something fixed. If you're a bike-tech, then you're good to go.

The good news is you have some time to beat it, and still return it to Coscto. Reviews say if you can get it all in one piece you should be good to go.

REI has some decent bikes as well. None of these are up to Big-3 level IMO, but gee, for the money it's hard to go wrong. 👍

LimboJim

I read the Costco reviews... there aren't that many, yet several different people reported damage to both bikes when they unpacked them. Apparently Costco's shipping folks are none too careful with bike boxes 🤔

pocomo

Thanks for the tip @PineNut. I just ordered one of the Raleigh bikes. I will report back to this thread with impressions.

If it arrives trashed it's not a big deal for me to return it to the local warehouse; otherwise I wouldn't be taking a flyer on this.

onlineaddy

According to Raleigh, it's 813 mm for the medium. But, they state the same height for the large. So, may be a typo.

Wish Costco had the step thru. But Raleigh's site has the standover for that SM (674 mm) to be higher than the MD (669 mm)! So, yeah, they need to hire a better editor.

@pocomo if you could measure the actual standover once you've received your bike, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

pocomo

I am happy to do so. Given that the top tube is sloped, at what point do you measure?

Also, it will be some time before I receive, assemble and measure this bike. I doubt Costco will be carrying these for very long; you might want to take a flyer yourself if you have a warehouse nearby for an easy return.

pocomo

I got a shipping notification but delivery is more than a week out. I will still report back here for the sake of any general curiousity.

PineNut

Great!

I'd be very interested to hear how the purchase goes for you and if the bike arrives in one piece. At that price, the Raleigh Talus looks to be a very good deal. Not many e-bikes come with a major brand name and hydraulic brakes for $1100.

Browneye

I'm fairly certain you can still get a Trek Electra, or a Electric Bike Company ebike. They were both well stock during the first couple of months of the pandemic.

I had waited in line at at my local trek dealer, 5 stores, the local one was only letting one person with a sales agent at a time. Finally gave up. But while I was waiting a semi trailer unloaded pallet after pallet of electra bikes and wheeled them into the store. At least a hundred or more of them.

REI still had some bikes, last time I looked as well. And I think RadPower is still shipping bikes. Ride1Up may have some bikes too.