Raleigh Sprite IE Fixer Upper

mikesova

A couple weeks ago, I came across what I think is a 2016 Raleigh Sprite Ie on facebook marketplace for 250$. I thought it would make a nice project and good ebike for my wife. Apparently the bike came with a wrecked motorhome at a dealership. It had some frame rash on it in spots, but overall it pretty good shape. The guy that had it after the the wreck, had changed the wheels/tires and rear derailleur and let it sit.

94952386_602521947020686_1926432135225278464_o (1) by mikesova, on Flickr

95787730_602520133687534_6393025688718278656_o (1) by mikesova, on Flickr

Fast forward, I ended up buying it for 200$. The chain was junk, so I immediately took that off and cleaned up the bike overall. I noticed that the 7 speed cassette was loosey goosey on the 8 speed hub, so I had to order a spacer for the cassette. I changed out the stem/bars with some I had from my fatbike, and ordered some other fresh parts to spice it up (pedals, grips, crank bolts, bottle cage, etc.)

IMG_1669 by mikesova, on Flickr

While I was working on it, I turned the pedals and heard the motor kick in, so I was pretty confident that it would work fine. am Once the new chain came in, I took it for a cruise . At first it seemed to work fine, you pedal and the motor kicks in and makes you go. I have never used a mid-drive bike before. I am impressed with the power, you get going 20mph pretty quickly.

The issue I'm having is that the crank slipping. When the bike is on a stand (battery and motor off) , and you spin the cranks with your hand, it turns the chain and moves the rear wheel, however, once you get on the bike and try to take off pedaling, the cranks slip and you don't get a solid connection between pedaling and turning the front sprocket. There is some connections, but its not right. My assumption is that something is stripped inside that's not allowing a good "hook up" between the two.

Also, when I turn on the battery, the screen flashes a couple random things that I wonder are codes? I don't have a manual so I'm not sure about them.

IMG_1634 by mikesova, on Flickr

IMG_1635 by mikesova, on Flickr

any info would be awesome. This is kind of a low buck project, so buying a new motor is probably out of the question, BUT, the actual electric motor is working fine, it seems to be the mechanical crank inside that is a problem.

Cool find. Raleigh service has been more "miss" than "hit" for me on the three occasions I've contacted them. But it may be worth your while contacting Tranzx and seeing if they have any advice or diagrams they can share.

I saw your other post so hopefully that will get some traction. I also noticed some reports of issues with this motor in 2016 that were corrected the following year, but weren't exactly the same as what you're describing.

FlatSix911

A couple weeks ago, I came across what I think is a 2016 Raleigh Sprite Ie on facebook marketplace for 250$. I thought it would make a nice project and good ebike for my wife. Apparently the bike came with a wrecked motorhome at a dealership. It had some frame rash on it in spots, but overall it pretty good shape. The guy that had it after the the wreck, had changed the wheels/tires and rear derailleur and let it sit.

94952386_602521947020686_1926432135225278464_o (1) by mikesova, on Flickr

95787730_602520133687534_6393025688718278656_o (1) by mikesova, on Flickr

Fast forward, I ended up buying it for 200$. The chain was junk, so I immediately took that off and cleaned up the bike overall. I noticed that the 7 speed cassette was loosey goosey on the 8 speed hub, so I had to order a spacer for the cassette. I changed out the stem/bars with some I had from my fatbike, and ordered some other fresh parts to spice it up (pedals, grips, crank bolts, bottle cage, etc.)

IMG_1669 by mikesova, on Flickr

While I was working on it, I turned the pedals and heard the motor kick in, so I was pretty confident that it would work fine. am Once the new chain came in, I took it for a cruise . At first it seemed to work fine, you pedal and the motor kicks in and makes you go. I have never used a mid-drive bike before. I am impressed with the power, you get going 20mph pretty quickly.

The issue I'm having is that the crank slipping. When the bike is on a stand (battery and motor off) , and you spin the cranks with your hand, it turns the chain and moves the rear wheel, however, once you get on the bike and try to take off pedaling, the cranks slip and you don't get a solid connection between pedaling and turning the front sprocket. There is some connections, but its not right. My assumption is that something is stripped inside that's not allowing a good "hook up" between the two.

Also, when I turn on the battery, the screen flashes a couple random things that I wonder are codes? I don't have a manual so I'm not sure about them.

IMG_1634 by mikesova, on Flickr

IMG_1635 by mikesova, on Flickr

any info would be awesome. This is kind of a low buck project, so buying a new motor is probably out of the question, BUT, the actual electric motor is working fine, it seems to be the mechanical crank inside that is a problem.
Congrats on your finding the Raleigh Sprite iE. Are you comfortable opening the motor housing to check for any mechanical issues?

Otherwise, I would recommend searching for a Raleigh dealer that is willing to work on the TranzX mid-drive motor and electronics.

From Court's review on EBR:
  • MOTOR BRAND: Currie Electro-Drive® (TranzX), Model M16GTA
  • MOTOR TYPE: Mid-Mounted Geared Motor
  • MOTOR NOMINAL OUTPUT: 350 watts
  • MOTOR PEAK OUTPUT: 500 watts
  • MOTOR TORQUE: 68 Newton meters
  • BATTERY BRAND: Samsung or LG
  • BATTERY VOLTAGE: 48 volts
  • BATTERY AMP HOURS: 8.8 ah
  • BATTERY WATT HOURS: 422.4 wh
  • BATTERY CHEMISTRY: Lithium-ion
  • CHARGE TIME: 5 hours
  • ESTIMATED MIN RANGE: 20 miles (32 km)
  • ESTIMATED MAX RANGE: 40 miles (64 km)
  • DISPLAY TYPE: Fixed Monochrome Backlit LCD with Adjustable Angle
  • READOUTS: Speed, Odometer, Battery Capacity (5 Bars), Assist Level (0-4), Range Estimation
  • DISPLAY ACCESSORIES: Independent Button Pad on Left
  • DRIVE MODE: Cadence Sensing Pedal Assist (Optional Button Throttle)
  • TOP SPEED: 20 mph (32 kph)

Last edited:

Ravi Kempaiah

however, once you get on the bike and try to take off pedaling, the cranks slip and you don't get a solid connection between pedaling and turning the front sprocket. There is some connections, but its not right. My assumption is that something is stripped inside that's not allowing a good "hook up" between the two.
It's normally the clutch that goes out.
Raleigh should be able to get you the parts. It would be best to approach them through a dealer.

Timpo

Error codeDescriptionDetection methodRepair
E00Display system
E0000Voltage detection error of the Display (5V)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Display
E0001Voltage detection error of the Display (5V_SW)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Display
E0002Voltage detection error of the Display (5V_SW2)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Display
E0003LCD backlighting abnormal errorLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Display
E0004Voltage detection error of the Display (5V)E-bike systemChange Display
E0005Voltage detection error of the Display (5V_SW)E-bike systemChange Display
E0006Voltage detection error of the Display (5V_SW2)E-bike systemChange Display
E0007Display EEPROM read/write errorE-bike systemChange Display
E0008Display LCD driver IC defectE-bike systemChange Display
E0009Light Sensor defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Display
E01Controller system
E0100Voltage detection error of the Controller (5V)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Controller
E0101Voltage detection error of the Controller (5V_SW)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Controller
E0102Voltage detection error of the Controller (12V)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Controller
E0103Light voltage output error of the Controller (6V)Logix diagnostics program - manual testChange Controller
E0104Motor control circuit defectLogix diagnostics program - automatic test1.Check Motor cable, 2.Controller, 3.Motor
E0105Voltage detection error of the Controller (5V)E-bike systemChange Controller
E0106Voltage detection error of the Controller (5V_SW)E-bike systemChange Controller
E0107Voltage detection error of the Controller (12V)E-bike systemChange Controller
E0108Light voltage output error of the Controller (6V)E-bike systemChange Controller
E0109Slope sensor detection errorE-bike systemChange Controller
E0110Motor blockedE-bike system1.Check Motor cable, 2.Controller, 3.Motor
E02AGT system
E0200Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_SW1)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange AGT
E0201Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_2)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange AGT
E0202Voltage detection error of the AGT (15V_1)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange AGT
E0203Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_RE)Logix diagnostics program - automatic testChange AGT
E0204Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_SW1)E-bike systemChange AGT
E0205Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_2)E-bike systemChange AGT
E0206Voltage detection error of the AGT (15V_1)E-bike systemChange AGT
E0207Voltage detection error of the AGT (5V_RE)E-bike systemChange AGT
E0208Home point detection errorE-bike systemChange AGT
E0209AGT motor driver defectE-bike systemChange AGT
E03Motor system
E0300Crank dead point sensor defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Motor
E0301Crank direction sensor defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Motor
E0302Crank RPM sensor defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Motor
E0303Chain RPM sensor defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange Motor
E0304Crank dead point sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E0305Crank RPM sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E0306Chain RPM sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E0307Motor temperature sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E0308Motor Hall sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E0309Torque sensor defectE-bike systemChange Motor
E04Battery system
E0400Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from ControllerLogix diagnostics program - automatic testChange Battery
E0401Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from ControllerE-bike systemChange Battery
E0402Battery I2C Communication errorE-bike systemChange Battery
E0403Battery voltage out of rangeE-bike systemChange Battery
E05Wheel speed sensor system
E0500Wheel speed sensor errorLogix diagnostics program - automatic testChange wheel speed sensor
E0501Wheel speed sensor errorE-bike systemChange wheel speed sensor
E06Display button system
E0600"+" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange display button set
E0601"-" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange display button set
E0602"S" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange display button set
E0603"Power" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange display button set
E07AGT button system
E0700"AT/MT" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange AGT button set
E0701"Upshift" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange AGT button set
E0702"Downshift" button defectLogix diagnostics program - manual testChange AGT button set
E0703I2C communication errorE-bike systemChange AGT button set
E08Communication system
E0800Display MCU <> Power MCU communication errorE-bike system1.Check Controller, 2.Display cable
E0801Display MCU <> Motor MCU communication errorE-bike system1.Check Controller, 2.Display cable
E0802Display MCU <> AGT MCU communication errorE-bike system1.Check AGT, 2.AGT cable
E0803Display MCU <> Torque MCU communication errorE-bike systemChange Motor
E0804Display MCU <> All MCU communication errorE-bike system1.Check Display, 2.All cable
E09Light system
E0900Front light system errorLogix diagnostics program - manual test1.Check front light, 2.Light cable
E0901Rear light system errorLogix diagnostics program - manual test1.Check rear light, 2.Light cable
E10Cable system
E1000Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from DisplayLogix diagnostics program - automatic test1.Check Display cable, 2.Display
E1001Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from AGTLogix diagnostics program - automatic test1.Check AGT cable, 2.AGT
E1002Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from DisplayE-bike system1.Check Display cable, 2.Display
E1003Voltage detection error of the Battery (36V) from AGTE-bike system1.Check AGT cable, 2.AGT
*Bold font as an important error message

Timpo

1. power/display button:
    • short press to switch on the system (do not push the pedal during 8 second count down)
    • short press to select different screens/functions:
      • SPD : actual speed
      • ODO : total kilometers
      • DST : trip counter
      • RANGE : remaining range
    • long press: switch off the system
  2. + button: press to increase power support mode
  3. - button: press to decrease power support mode
  4. S-button:
    • hold button: walk assist up to 6kmh
    • short press: enable/disable boost
  5. light sensor to automatically switch on/off the lights
  6. actual speed
  7. total kilometers
  8. trip counter
  9. remaining range
  10. service symbol (in combination with error code): contact your dealer
  11. battery capacity indication:
    1. 5 bars: 80% to 100% remaining capacity
    2. 1 bar: 20% to 10% remaining capacity
    3. 1 bar blinking: 10% to 5% remaining capacity
    4. 0 bars left: no support but there is still enough energy left to supply the lights for 3 hours
  12. only with AGT option: actual gear in Manual Transmission or in Automatic Transmission
  13. indication if walk assist or boost function is enabled
  14. riding mode: 1 to 3
  15. value of the selected display screen

Al P

You can find dealers by zip on the website and call them. I don't think there are too many. One I can recommend is Bloomfield Bike Shop in Bloomfield Ct.

FlatSix911

Any reccomendations for a Raleigh dealer? I doubt I have anybody local to me that stocks the ebikes.
You can also email Raleigh for support... hope this helps.