Real battery capacity.

Sierratim

Hello fellow e-bikers, I buy my batteries from Aliexpress, really cheap.Can get a 10,000mah pack (48v) for around £50.
They have loads of packs of varying capacities, there highest claiming to be 100,000 mah, but frankly I don't believe it.
I brought a Dolidada pack, the sticker says 36,000 mah but it ain't.Its true capacity is about 10,000mah but at £50 it is
still a good value battery.My question is, how do I know if I buy a battery from Aliexpress, what the true capacity is?
I would like to experiment with batteries maybe buy a few more, perhaps even a 52volt for more power, but I must
know the true capacity beforehand, I need to be looking at a battery of about 30,000 mah capacity, that will get me about
15miles out of my e-bike, my current 2, 10,000mah get me about 5 miles each. I notice ebikes on line advertised saying they
get about 30 miles range from such a battery, that would be amazing.Why is my bike only doing 5 miles?
Anyway thanx for any tips and advice.
Rob
5 mile range from a 48V 10Ah/480Wh battery? It does seem awfully low. My battery is bigger at 600Wh so I would expect more miles but even in my very hilly little town I can get 30+ miles from a charge, more as the routes flatten out. Perhaps your battery packs have even less capacity than you think. I have a watt meter similar to the one @harryS uses using it to evaluate batteries for my DIY ebikes with good results. You might consider making the investment as well.

6zfshdb

From time to time, I use a pair of 48V LED bulbs and this meter to bench test my batteries.
61j-8zOCkFL._SL1200_.jpg

Robert Kelly

Thanks for the tip, I should buy such a device, it would be interesting to measure the capacity of my batteries.
One is a Liitokala 10,000 mah, the other from Aliexpress is a Dilodada, now it says 38,000 mah on the label but it ain't.It performs just like the Liitokala pack, so I assume it is of 10,000mah capacity also.I could probably get that device of Banggood, always shopping there.
It's just academic really, it gets me into town and back to the shops, and to the park and back easily to fly my drone's so I am happy with it, it's a great bike.I have just installed a windscreen on it, and paid £80 for a new rear wheel fitted (+disc brake) So I might as well just get loads of use out of it. Maybe scour Internet for some TRUE higher capacity batteries up to 30,000mah. I would like to try 52 Volts as well.
30 miles range would be a dream to me.Either the batteries are lower capacity, or my hub is very inneficient. Maybe my weight is a factor as I am 22 stone odd! Rob

Sierratim

Thanks for the tip, I should buy such a device, it would be interesting to measure the capacity of my batteries.
One is a Liitokala 10,000 mah, the other from Aliexpress is a Dilodada, now it says 38,000 mah on the label but it ain't.It performs just like the Liitokala pack, so I assume it is of 10,000mah capacity also.I could probably get that device of Banggood, always shopping there.
It's just academic really, it gets me into town and back to the shops, and to the park and back easily to fly my drone's so I am happy with it, it's a great bike.I have just installed a windscreen on it, and paid £80 for a new rear wheel fitted (+disc brake) So I might as well just get loads of use out of it. Maybe scour Internet for some TRUE higher capacity batteries up to 30,000mah. I would like to try 52 Volts as well.
30 miles range would be a dream to me.Either the batteries are lower capacity, or my hub is very inneficient. Maybe my weight is a factor as I am 22 stone odd! Rob
I've had very good results with PING BATTERY. Not the cheapest, but great service and an ever better product, though YRMV.

harryS

I thought my wattmeter was originally made for you drone hobbyists. Well, it's inexpensive and handy.

Wow. 38000 maH. You should know that AH is correctly specified by adding up the AH rating of the cells in one parallel group. So if you have a 40 cell 36V10AH pack, you know it has four cells in each parallel group, and each is 2.5AH.

Your Dildodada friends are probably adding up the AH numbers of every cell in the pack. Lets say it's a 20 cell model made with cheap chinese 1.9 AH flashlight cells, Wow. 38AH, when it is really 7.6AH.

Robert Kelly

True, no way it is 38,000mah.I am happy with my set up though, but would like a longer range, without spending a fortune, I would spend up to £100 I guess on a quality battery. At one point I was looking around for a new e-bike, would be great to buy a brand new one, but I will have to save up, cheapest you can get is probably aroung £600. (mountain bike style) I really like the SAMEBIKE L026 (500watt) at one point they where on Gearbest.com for £450 but they didn't deliver that model to UK, real shame. I would love to sample the power difference between mine (which I guess is 250 watt) and say a 500 watt bike, minimum power I would accept if I brought another ebike, 1000 or 1500 watt must be AWESOME!!!
Rob

CdnShaun

True, no way it is 38,000mah.I am happy with my set up though, but would like a longer range, without spending a fortune, I would spend up to £100 I guess on a quality battery. At one point I was looking around for a new e-bike, would be great to buy a brand new one, but I will have to save up, cheapest you can get is probably aroung £600. (mountain bike style) I really like the SAMEBIKE L026 (500watt) at one point they where on Gearbest.com for £450 but they didn't deliver that model to UK, real shame. I would love to sample the power difference between mine (which I guess is 250 watt) and say a 500 watt bike, minimum power I would accept if I brought another ebike, 1000 or 1500 watt must be AWESOME!!!
Rob
I went from previous Bionx Bikes with a 500watt nominal (800-1000 watt 'peak' estimated) hub motor and a 11.6Ah/48V Battery...which were good to ride...to a DIY built 2WD cargo bike with 3,000W peak (2 x 1500W Hub Motors) and the riding is so incredible on my new bike...I'm selling all the others I have with Bionx. :)

Kudos to you working within such a tight budget. I originally looked at the low cost batteries from AliExpress due to my plan for a larger (130-150Ah capacity) build - but watching too many cheap batteries catch fire videos on YouTube stopped me from buying them.

I hope you keep your batteries somewhere safe and fire resistant/proof.

Cheers

Hectors Ghost

Unless you buy 6 of them and a cargo bike to carry the weight and 2WD motors to power it all...yes, I'm a little crazy I know. ;-)
Just stick with a pair of 58.8V 30+Ah packs, it will weigh less, cost less per Ah, charge faster, and save you a ton of time dicking around with batteries. Unless you are going to restrict your riding to Florida try to get beyond hub-motors especially for a cargo bike.

Robert Kelly

Have a look at this, go to DHgate and search for this bike :
VTUVIA NEW SN100 Fat Tire Electric Bike All Road Ebike Bicycle 35km-45km/h
How can they sell it for £330, it's amazing.This may be be my only chance to get a new, powerful ebike.
This is a £1400 bike on ebay all day, am I missing something? it's amazing price.I should buy it and then sell my bike in a few weeks time, I would have loads of Power and hopefully more range, it would be amazing, they have a 1000 watt too with a carrier, similar looking bike.
I should go for it! The Vtuvia is a brilliant ebike isn't it?
What's your view, why so cheap?

Rob

harryS

A $448 fatbike "shipped free to US by epacket" is too good to be true, Rob. It's fake.

Epacket is for small light things, like a camera battery. The seller puts it in China post for a few pennies, and the US post office agrees to carry it to my house for a few more pennies. If I order it, there will be like a 1000 dollar shipping charge. In your case, you also get that, and I'm sure your customs will laugh and tack on another 300-500 pounds.

Robert Kelly

It does sound too good to be true, but what will happen if I click on it to buy?
It's Dhgate, they are a real big company.
Rob

harryS

Appears to be a US importer .. I hesitate to say vendor. Looks like Paypal is an option.

Here's a forum contact if you want to do more due diligence, She says Arnold has one.

Me, I don't care what Arnold rides. I don't like fat tire bikes with 4" rims. Bikes with 2" rims that have fat tires ... I could like,