Rear hub motor with 11 speed cassette...

Rob Gorman

First off, I am new and still trying to figure things out so bear with me...

I have Specialized Crosstrail Expert ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) that I would like to convert to an eBike. I was (and potentially may still) thinking of going with a front hub motor to keep things simple but after doing some reading, I do think my PREFERENCE is to go with a rear hub motor since they blend in to the bike a bit better but ideally I would like to continue to use my existing drive train.

So my question is, are there any 500w freewheel capable motors that would work with my 11 gear cassette? I see a lot of kits with 7 - 9 gears but none with 11 and none explicitly stating that I can use my existing cassette. I also don't want a motor that adds drag when I am wanting to just pedal normally while recreational riding as opposed to commuting to work.

I would appreciate some insight if someone else has done something similar.

Dunbar

Shimano mountain bike 11sp cassettes like on your Crosstrail are no wider than 10sp cassettes. As long as motor will fit an 8/9/10sp cassette you are fine. The road bike 11sp cassettes are wider and require a wider freehub body.

Shoestring

re: 11spd cassette, you must also have a hub motor that has a standard cassette freehub body to accept your cassette. Most hub motors have a thread on freewheel style cassette, although some hub motors are available with the freehub. I have not seen anything above a 10spd tread on style cassette, they may exist, but I've never seen one.

Douglas Ruby

I am using an 11-speed cassette on my Specialized Turbo. It came with a 10 speed. Any hub motor that claims to support 10-speed (Shimano or SRAM) "should" also work with Shimano XT or Ultegra/11-speed cassette in mountain bike or roadbike ratios. These cassettes fit in the same width as a 10 speed SRAM or Shimano casette. HOWEVER, the SRAM 11 speed cassette is slightly wider and due to supporting a 10 tooth small sprocket requires a different freewheel mechanism so it will not work.

Some hub motors are designed for earlier "7 speed" freewheel widths and are limited to no more than 9 speeds total. I have a bike at home (non e-bike) that is an old Specialized hybrid that came with a evil shifting narrow 7-speed freewheel, cassette, and derailleur. I took the 7-speed (13-30) cassette off and was able to mount my 10 speed SRAM (11-36) cassette, minus the 11 tooth small sprocket to provide a 9 speed 13-36 ratio. The cassette tightening nut holds the 13 tooth 2nd sprocket and all of the other cassette sprockets just fine. I am using my SRAM X7 derailleur, 10 speed shifter, and 10 speed chain and just block out one gear using the adjustment screws on the derailleur. The gear-to-gear spacing works fine and I just get a double click at one end or the other.