Recommend some bikes?

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
The shimano 8 speed IGH is apparently very reliable. One doesn't repair them when worn out, one throws them away. I installed a Sturmey Archer S80 IGH, it slowed me down 15% compared to a derailleur and the shifter wore out in 500 miles. I don't think any e-bike has one of those. I expect the 15% drag loss to be the same with the shimano IGH. Don't buy a rohloff 11 speed IGH on an electric bike, there have been leakers.
The 8 speed shimano rear sprocket I have on my yubabike has been very reliable, i've got 5000 miles on it. The 7 speed shimano sprocket axle I had previously came unscrewed and dropped the balls on the road at about 1500 miles. Had to push it home. The 7 speed shimano axle is a kiddie grade product whose main advantage is price. Serious design flaw in that axle, which is on 95% of discount store bikes. Plus I found I was adjusting the shifter on the 7 speed shimano every coupla months, whereas the SRAM shifter on my yubabike needs adjusting less than once a year.
I ride hilly terrain, and find a 11 to 32 selection of rear sprockets allows me to cope with all grades without using the power. 11:32 is in catalogs in 7 speed sprockets, but when I tried to order one none was ever available. If you don't ride up 15% grades you may not need a 32 rear sprocket.
Notice rear sprockets 9 speeds and up have thinner chain, which wears out 2 to 10 times faster than 8 speed chain. I got 5000 miles out of my first 8 speed chain, apparently highly unusual. Some mid drive users with 11 speed chain report 500 mile chain life.
I doubted the seven speed will hold up like the eight, just by looking at how they work. Nice to hear from someone that has used both. If one fails does it make sense to change to the eight? Or too expensive to change everything?

indianajo

I doubted the seven speed will hold up like the eight, just by looking at how they work. Nice to hear from someone that has used both. If one fails does it make sense to change to the eight? Or too expensive to change everything?
Someone is intensely confused about whether my response is about derailleurs or IGH. I haven't used either shimano IGH but they have a good reputation on mtbr.com . https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/
The shimano 8 speed derailleur axle I have has been trouble free for 5000 miles. The 7 speed shimano freewheel axle I owned failed at 1500 mile, due to cheap design. You can tighten it up again and put more balls in, but it will not last very long since nothing but a ferrule holds the bearing race in place. When it drops the balls you push the bike home or call a tow truck. The 8 speed cluster does not fit on a threaded wheel, so an entire new wheel must be bought if you want to use the 8 speed cluster. 8 speed clusters require a different shifter than the 7 speed. The chain is compatible, but a chain long enough for 28 largest sprockets will not be long enough for 32 largest sprocket. The 7 speed 28 tooth takeup will be too short for 32 teeth, too.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Someone is intensely confused about whether my response is about derailleurs or IGH. I haven't used either shimano IGH but they have a good reputation on mtbr.com . https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/
The shimano 8 speed derailleur axle I have has been trouble free for 5000 miles. The 7 speed shimano freewheel axle I owned failed at 1500 mile, due to cheap design. You can tighten it up again and put more balls in, but it will not last very long since nothing but a ferrule holds the bearing race in place. When it drops the balls you push the bike home or call a tow truck. The 8 speed cluster does not fit on a threaded wheel, so an entire new wheel must be bought if you want to use the 8 speed cluster. 8 speed clusters require a different shifter than the 7 speed. The chain is compatible, but a chain long enough for 28 largest sprockets will not be long enough for 32 largest sprocket. The 7 speed 28 tooth takeup will be too short for 32 teeth, too.
My bad. Yes i thought you were talking about IGH only, because Barbara (the OP) was asking about IGHs vs deraillers yesterday. I know that because I was with her on the test ride. No way for you to know that of course. Still think that the 7 speed IGH with chain she rode isn't as good as the 8 speed with belt, but would love to know more if anyone has experience. The IGHs seem overpriced to me, but I am cheap.