Reducing Maintenance $$$ - longer lasting chains & emtb tires?

gorse

Long time biker here - I don't bother with the whole chain rotating nonsense, wear the whole lot out together and replace it. Nothing worse than putting a new chain on a partly worn cassette only to have engagement issues, (despite diligantly observing chain wear according to the dinky chain wear indicator tool).
The key is finding the right cassette/chain at a reasonable price and learning to do the swapout yourself. My ebike has 3000km on the first chain/cassette and it will probably last another 1000-2000km.

NB/ I can make a new chain slip on a new cassette in the small cogs on a normal bike, and it's very easy on an ebike with a motor, so you have to avoid starting off in a high gear or hammering up hills in the wee cogs, there's not enough chain wrap to sustain the load.

indianajo

I've got ~5000 miles on my 8 speed chain & cassette, and wonder, WTH? Just because my bike has a hub motor on it my chain wear is 10x everybody else's? I ride unpowered 90% of the time! I lube the chain & takeup wheels every 2 weeks with sus 32 (5W) hydraulic fluid (or type F transmission fluid), and scrape the dirt deposits off the sprockets with a screwdriver about annually when I change the back tire or get grass stems wound up in the sprockets.

byunbee

My bike specific KMC e10 chains give me about 1200 miles before needing replacement. I did the math on The Dukes post and it looks like he put on around 2400 miles which is good service especially on a cheap chain. I'd buy another one at that if it was me! Ditto for the tires. Maybe go for a hybrid like the Schwalbe Hurricanes or Super Moto X if it's mostly paved miles.
Yes, if you ride mostly on paved roads you don't want to ride on knobby tires. The most popular are probably the Schwalbe Super Moto X.

byunbee

I've had my BH emtb for 7 months now. I definitely baby my bicycle. Mainly sidewalks and gentle fire roads, no crazy stuff. I travel at commuting speeds....I'm not racing or accelerating quicky.

I've been doing 20 miles per day, 4 days a week for 7 months, and my rear tire is almost bald. Can anyone suggest something that might last a little longer? I have a 27.5x2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nic back there now that might last another month or two.

I've also been told that my chain is stretched out and should have been replaced months ago. Cheap chains on amazon are only $17, but is this the best route? $17 every 6 months? Or are there better chains that will last years on a mid drive ebike? Help!
If you truly want low maintenance, then you should look at a bike with Rohloff IGH and Carbon Gate Drive combo. You can ride years without worry about replacements. But they are much more expensive.

indianajo

Yes, if you ride mostly on paved roads you don't want to ride on knobby tires. .
I find knobby tires go the distance without flats. I'm going to replace the rear next week with knobs down to 3/32", where they can go flat due to road trash. About a year and a half and 2500 miles on a Kenda. I only got 700 miles out of the street tire (freedomcycle) that came with the bike before it went flat.

Thomas Jaszewski

Cheap chains, 130 Link, and cheap Kenda tires. WHipperman high priced eBike chains won't run on narrow-wide chainrings.
All riding on city streets, no real flat hazards, and I pay attention when shifting to not load the chain tension.