Ripcurrent S Replacement Chain

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I am trying to identify the Ripcurrent S chain part number from KMC. My chain is 128 links. I think I may have to custom make the length. Does any know an Amazon link to a replacement chain?

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
Called and Juiced is out of stock on the replacement chains. I cannot find the KMC K99 BR (Rust Buster) 128 link chain anywhere online.

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I kinda started to feel like I needed 2 Z99 RB 116 link chains and just make one longer. Is the stock chain 1/2" x 11/128" ??

I looked at the chain closer and found the markings Z and KMC on one side then on the other I found Super Narrow.
IMG_6756.JPG

Update: After research I am going to get the KMC e9 EPT 1/2" x 11/128" (narrow) 136 links. I will shorten it down when I install it.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-X9e-Turb...ywords=kmc+chain+x9+ept&qid=1612893652&sr=8-2

Last edited:

Guitartec

Not sure if anyone cares, buy I have a Wipperman Connex 9SE chain on my RCS. This chain is made for the rigors of a mid-drive ebike and is to my knowledge the only ebike specific 9 speed chain available. Not only is it a super well-made chain, but is has a quick link, so the chain can be removed quickly w/o tools. It's will need to be sized for your application, but it's a definite drive system upgrade to your Current series ebike.

snakedoctor

Region
USA
Not sure if anyone cares, buy I have a Wipperman Connex 9SE chain on my RCS. This chain is made for the rigors of a mid-drive ebike and is to my knowledge the only ebike specific 9 speed chain available. Not only is it a super well-made chain, but is has a quick link, so the chain can be removed quickly w/o tools. It's will need to be sized for your application, but it's a definite drive system upgrade to your Current series ebike.
I'm showing my ignorance here but I'm new to eBikes. What's the noticeable difference with a chain like this vs. say the one that Juiced sells for the RipCurrent S?

Guitartec

Well, it's like most OEM components that come on an bike that's built to hit a price point. The parts are cheap and they work until they don't one day. The OEM chain on the Ripcurrent is an ordinary KMC roller chain. It's a relatively cheap chain that will stretch, possibly cause shifting issues and finally fail. The best thing about the KMC is it usually won't rust.

The Connex e-bike chain, on the other hand, is a MUCH better made chain that's designed to handle the extra pedal torque of a mid-drive motor. My KMC stretched very early in my RCS's life, so I wanted a better chain. I had a regular Connex on my previous MTB that lasted 15 years before I gave the bike away.

The Connex chain can be removed in just a few seconds without tools so it can be cleaned more easily making it last longer. It also shifts and pedals smoother. It is simply more reliable, and since my ebike weighs in at 70+lbs, the last thing I want is a drive failure of any kind when I'm 35 miles from home. This chain really works well for me, but it's not for everybody. Here's their blurb below. Check out their site if you want: https://www.connexchain.com/en.html

E-BIKE CHAINS – ELECTRIFYING PERFORMANCE​

A peripheral phenomenon only a few years ago and still a much-discussed topic: e-bikes. The powerful electric motors can transmit extremely high torques of 250 to 300 Watts to the e-bike chain. They generate high load peaks which only a few components can permanently stand up to. Connex meets these challenges with state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies, materials and coating processes developed for industrial applications that we use to produce e-bike chains that are extremely resistant to high-torque load changes.

Unique high quality for e-bikes​

We offer chains specifically designed to meet the requirements of 10-speed, 9-speed, 8-speed, 7-speed and 1-speed chain systems. These chains are especially resistant to high load changes – and thus set standards in terms of workmanship and long service life. The Connex 10sE, Connex 9sE and Connex 8sE models additionally feature wear-resistant stainless steel inner links.

motorteach

Hello IOUZIP,

I have a Juiced Bike CrossCurrent S. When new, I measured the chain, and I knew that I should think about a replacement chain for the future. (It was already on the longer side)

Since we have hub motors on our Juiced Bikes, any good quality 9-speed chain should be the call. The problem seems to be as you discovered that regular bicycle chains are 116-links long. I personally don't like to have 2-master links, so using 2-chains pieced together was not an option for me.

I have notice that the Shimano e-bike "STEPS" mid-drive replacement chains (P/N: CN-E6090-10) are 138-links long. (Click the link below where I purchased mine)

I believe that since the mid-drive chains have to transfer more torque, their chains have to be stronger. (In my humble opinion)

My research has also found that you can use a 10-speed chain on a 9-speed drive-line, but not reverse.

I personally don't care for the "Rust Coating" on the KMC chain. (I service/lube my chain every 100 miles) I also like to keep my Shiamno drivelines all Shimano.

BTW, The Connex branded bicycle chains are the best you can resource. I haven't ever used them in the pass on any of my bicycles because they are pricey...

But next time I think "Guitartec's" recommendation of the Connex 9Se may be my next chain.
(132-links)

I hope this information will assist you.
1614970336585.png

Last edited:

IOUZIP

Region
USA
City
Tampa
I purchased a replacement chain from Juiced. $25 plus $5 shipping. You have to use a chain breaker to remove and install the stock chain. I still am using the original chain after checking it was still good. I am not easy on my chain with trail riding. I know when my chain goes I will have a replacement ready.

Guitartec

I purchased a replacement chain from Juiced. $25 plus $5 shipping. You have to use a chain breaker to remove and install the stock chain. I still am using the original chain after checking it was still good. I am not easy on my chain with trail riding. I know when my chain goes I will have a replacement ready.
I found a brand new Wipperman Connex 9SE 136 link for $29.99 with free shipping on ebay. It comes with their master link which requires no tools for a 3-second installation or removal of the chain. This chain is miles better than the KMC OEM RCS chain. You will need to size it with a chain breaker just like the KMC.

Timpo

I am trying to identify the Ripcurrent S chain part number from KMC. My chain is 128 links. I think I may have to custom make the length. Does any know an Amazon link to a replacement chain?
I don't know about RipCurrent, but for CrossCurrent I found 128 links was way too long.
I shortened to 116 links and it's working well.