Rohloff Speed hubs on E-bikes (Mechanical and E-14) - Discussion

CityExplorer

You can not make that assumption.

People who have reported problems are not just some new users who signed just to share their problems, most of them are actually well known members.
Yes, that is why I think Ravi's theory might be a possibility. I don't think Rohloff hubs are problematic or inherently flawed, they would not be around still, and many customers have seen exceptional performance over incredible distances. So I think something may have changed as they got more popular and more installation on different frames, maybe frame stiffness or alignment issues cause some issue, or maybe just a few unlucky people. I'm more worried about the response I'm hearing about from Rohloff... they may have too big of egos to admit there is some issue. Too stubborn.

Ravi Kempaiah

These people have been around Rohloff probably from the early days , and are not big fans of having kick stands on their touring bikes , or carbon belts this is their 2020 news letter with lots on the hub near the bottom

That was a fantastic read! Thanks for sharing.
I saved it and will read it again because there is so much valuable info in that document.
They have traveled all over the world! I mean I never expected to see a picture of Rohloff on Indian streets. The amount of touring these folks have done on their Rohloff setup is really impressive.

Johnny

Yes, that is why I think Ravi's theory might be a possibility. I don't think Rohloff hubs are problematic or inherently flawed, they would not be around still, and many customers have seen exceptional performance over incredible distances. So I think something may have changed as they got more popular and more installation on different frames, maybe frame stiffness or alignment issues cause some issue, or maybe just a few unlucky people. I'm more worried about the response I'm hearing about from Rohloff... they may have too big of egos to admit there is some issue. Too stubborn.

Imo If you buy your bike from a responsible manufacturer like Ravi then you should be fine.

Here the main problem is here the bike manufacturer is not taking any responsibility when the hub fails.

Last edited:

CityExplorer

Imo If you buy your bike from a responsible manufacturer like Ravi then you should be fine.

Here the main problem is bike manufacturer not taking any responsibility when the hub fails.
Ya, if Ravi makes a bike that suits my needs, I'll have no worries buying it. If my current bikes hold together and I don't need to replace them, I'm very excited about what my next bike will be, even if I have to build it myself.

I saved it and will read it again because there is so much valuable info in that document.
They have traveled all over the world! I mean I never expected to see a picture of Rohloff on Indian streets. The amount of touring these folks have done on their Rohloff setup is really impressive.
Sure, like wise I have long hauled for years with Rohloff hubs and never had a problem, this is my first touring e-bike and the new e-14/gates drive with only 2500 odd miles on the hub , just hope its a rogue one .

Deacon Blues

So, the Rohloff hub can last a long, long time, without issues, on a regular bike, but what about when it's mated to something like the Wattwagons Ultra motor, with 160Nm of torque?
I don't think the designers at Rohloff ever envisioned their hubs being mounted to powerful ebikes, and I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off going with the Kindernay hub (with zero track record) or a Sram E-tap setup with the WWSuperbike I've ordered. At least with the Sram hub my local bike shop could do the repairs, should it fail.

Also, having to limit the throttle power and recommend not starting the bike in higher assist levels because of possible hub slippage is a bit disconcerting.
The last thing I want is to go with the Rohloff hub and have it fail after the warranty runs out.

CityExplorer

So, the Rohloff hub can last a long, long time, without issues, on a regular bike, but what about when it's mated to something like the Wattwagons Ultra motor, with 160Nm of torque?
That is a problem many have discussed and possible approaches to remedy that. No, as per the Rohloff specs, 160Nm of torque through the hub is a a very bad idea.