Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Well, ride that with Super Moto X...

1620982446856.png

It was a good couple of kilometres.

Alaskan

That on Super Moto X? No thank you. On my Delite Mountain with 2.8" Johnny Watts? Probably okay but Nobby Nicks would be better, I'm sure. Fortunately that is a "road" condition I do not encounter.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
The local conditions here (Mazovia, Land of Lodz) are that there are rather small forests (off-road) connected with sandy, gravel or asphalt roads of varying quality. With e-bike range, you'd ride from one forest to another but then you need to use paved roads sometimes. That was making me suffer when I used to ride my Trance E+ on true off-road tyres (the tyre noise on pavement). Even in huge West Pomeranian forests you need to get to civilization sometimes. All of this made me swap tyres in Trance E+ to 2.6" Johnny Watts.

Still, I needed to ride my Vado on thinner 29" tyres in mixed terrain. Due to lack of JW of proper size, I have used Smart Sams on my Vado. These let me ride 50/50 paved/unpaved smoothly. I hope it explains my status :)

(The matter would be completely different if I lived in or closely to any Polish mountains, of course).

linklemming

That on Super Moto X? No thank you. On my Delite Mountain with 2.8" Johnny Watts? Probably okay but Nobby Nicks would be better, I'm sure. Fortunately that is a "road" condition I do not encounter.
Yeah, definately no thank you. I dont recall anyone stating that Super Moto X would be good in that kind of condition or 'best of both worlds'

My 2.8 Nobby Nics would handle that perfectly

smorgasbord

Region
USA
Schwalbe chart of their tires (from https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schw...s/Produkte/best-use/johnny-watts_best-use.png ):

johnny-watts_best-use.png

I personally was excited that they've just brought out Smart Sam's in the 27.5 x 2.8 size (previously, max width at 27.5" was 2.6), but now I'm leaning towards the Johnny Watts. Been running Maxxis Chronicles at 2.75x3.0 and pretty happy, but they're going to be worn out by the end of this season.

smorgasbord

Region
USA
I'm mostly pavement, but when I do go off-road I don't want to suffer much. I don't do highly technical stuff, but enough that I want do-it-all tires. The wide tires I run help in the soft stuff and I don't mind the extra friction on-road, as long as it's smoothish.

The Smart Sams are lighter than the Johnny Watts, btw.

linklemming

I'm mostly pavement, but when I do go off-road I don't want to suffer much. I don't do highly technical stuff, but enough that I want do-it-all tires. The wide tires I run help in the soft stuff and I don't mind the extra friction on-road, as long as it's smoothish.

The Smart Sams are lighter than the Johnny Watts, btw.
Im guessing JWs would be the the better choice for you. I have heard that women always prefer ebikers on JWs :cool:

While my SS in a 2.6 are ok on pavement, the JWs would be better. Alot of my rides have small crushed gravel which just get finer as its ridden more, turning into sand and the SS is just the better choice.

I do ride SS in the front and JW on the rear on a bike ands soon to be JWs all around on a new DIY build.

Perhaps a thing to do is ask yourself for mixed terrain rides, "Where does traction matter to me the most"

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I don't do highly technical stuff, but enough that I want do-it-all tires.
That was the answer I expected. Luckily, you can equip your e-bike with JWs now. My point is, JWs are not available for the tyre size I need but Smart Sams are available for a wide range of wheels.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I'm so glad to have chosen Smart Sams for my Vado! My last Sunday's ride involved unexpected "mountain off-road riding" (but nothing technical really). I have talked with two MTBers on the ride: Both were surprised I could manage riding with a rigid fork off-road; to which my answer was "It is because I'm using proper tyres" to which both of them agreed!