Searching for an ebike for my 5'1" wife

sparky72

Region
USA
Trying to find a good ebike for my wife, but finding it difficult to find anything reasonably priced that will work for her size. She is 5'1" but finds most bikes rated for this height to still be too big. Perhaps she has a shorter inseam than average for this height I don't know. The second issue is she has had a multiple back surgeries, so she needs something along the lines of a comfort bike, preferably with a low center of gravity. So far the best options we have seen are the 24" Pedago Comfort cruiser, which no one seems to have in stock, The Electric Bike Company model M, which has the basket mounted battery which I assume means a high center of gravity, or the Blix Sol. Any other good options in the sub $2500 range?

sparky72

Region
USA
The Vida E+ looks like a really nice option, unfortunately it seems the closest retailer that has one is 350 miles away.

Dewey

The Vida E+ looks like a really nice option, unfortunately it seems the closest retailer that has one is 350 miles away.
Do have an REI or Trek bike shop near you? The Electra Townie Go! 7D should work as the slack seat angle means even shorter riders can put both feet on the ground.

indianajo

Biktrix Stunner LT has a 20" wheel option that will fit riders up to 5' 3"
Pedego Element also has 20" wheels and would be worth test riding
short people don't enjoy having their teeth rattled by potholes & high pavement seperators any more than tall people. Or perhaps you live in Germany where a pothole never survived more than 2 hours.
With back trouble she would enjoy hitting potholes even less.
I'm short & I ride 26" wheels. Unfortunately the drop frame for small people is no longer available from yuba. "One size fits all". Yeah, right, as long as you don't mind jumping off the seat at every stop sign.

sparky72

Region
USA
Do have an REI or Trek bike shop near you? The Electra Townie Go! 7D should work as the slack seat angle means even shorter riders can put both feet on the ground.
Yeah she actually tried the 7D, she liked it for the most part, but could barely touch with her toe, and it has no throttle

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
None of those (Giant, Momentum, Liv) are equipped with a throttle... if that is what you want, none of the big four offer a throttle, and you may have to look at DTC bikes ... no local bike shops, usually.

sparky72

Region
USA
So I just learned something interesting in talking with The Electric Bike Company, apparently you can order any of their bikes with the smaller 24" wheels. That means that even though only the Model M has them standard, she can order the model S, which has the removable battery in the rear rather than the non-removable front basket mounted battery, and simply request the 24" wheels. That brings the minimum seat height down 2", which is enough for her. The battery is still not in the most ideal location as it is higher than we would like, but it would check every other box.