Seeking advice on dismounting safely - Trek Verve +2 step through

Joanne Corsano

I am 65+ years old, five feet tall. I'm reasonably fit but have diminished physical strength due to some health issues. I've been riding a Trek Verve+ 2 with the step through design. I've had no trouble mounting the bike, but I've had some issues with dismounting. On a recent ride, as I was coming to a stop I stumbled and fell to my left, and I wound up with the bike on top of me. I sustained a sprained ankle and some scratches. This isn't the first time I dismounted very awkwardly, but it was the first time I hurt myself. I think my problem is because the bike is much heavier than the non-powered road bike I rode for years. I am just not sure of how to dismount safely. It sounds like a stupid problem, doesn't it? Has anyone else had issues with dismounting, and could anybody give me some simple advice on how to get off this bike safely?

antboy

Assuming that your seat is at the right height, and you have the right sized bike for your height... :)

If you can be on tippy-toes when stopped, adding a dropper seat post would probably help dismounting. That way as you come to a stop you can drop the seat post and more easily plant both feet on the ground. Even an an inch or two can make a difference.

David Berry

Joanne …

My 'technique' involves the following:
  1. Use my dropper post to lower the saddle by 75 mm.
    Comment: Choose a dropper post with the smallest range (usually 75 mm) to avoid being sent far too high in the air when it is in the 'up' position.
  2. Always mount/dismount from the same side. For me this is the left.
    Comment: This makes it easy to put my left foot down on the kerb at traffic lights; not so easy for those living in countries with 'curbs'.
  3. I stop with my right foot high and left foot low.
    Comment: Right foot at one o'clock (slightly forward) for easy take-off.
  4. At the very last moment before stopping I apply the front brake hard so that I come straight off the saddle.
    Comment: Note the underlined words.
… David