Segway C80 ebike

Timpo

I have a mixed feeling about this. :confused:

People have been getting pulled over by the police for using these "ebikes" with virtually useless pedals.

What do you think?

Segway says that eMoped C80 riders shouldn't need a license in most US states

Segway has put the eMoped C80 up for pre-order on Indiegogo

ki11a

I dont get what the appeal is for these, maybe less theft? I dunno...they are limited at 20mph anyways, just get an ebike.

sc00ter

ki11a said it best. I wouldn't buy one if it only did 20mph BUT if it did 45mph I would consider one and register it as a moped/scooter. The lenient years of mopeds from back in the 70's are long gone.

Nova Haibike

What do you think?
Mini bike style e-bikes seem to be popular, so I do not see why a scooter style e-bikes would not also be popular. Neither style appeals to me, but I am not the target market. As for people getting pulled over, not my problem. :p

rich c

There are a ton of designs I wouldn't ride, and this is one of them. If that guy actually shows up at the refinery with that robin egg blue scooter, he's in for a rough day. Especially if he is really using those rotary foot rests used to skirt the intent of the law for electric assist bicycles.

ki11a

Especially if he is really using those rotary foot rests used to skirt the intent of the law for electric assist bicycles.

No doubt, it reminds me of a premise/quote from King of the Hill...Cotton loses his drivers license so Dale suggests he puts a sail on his car and call it a boat so he could drive it around. :p

In terms of using this on dedicated bike infrastructure, I'd only be concerned about the weight. If that thing is as heavy as it looks, I wouldn't be comfortable riding a regular bike or jogging near it. It also looks to have really wide handle bars.

antboy

They need to make up their minds, as it's either an e-moped or an e-bike. They're trying to have their cake and eat it, by using both terms on their Indiegogo page. My guess is to skirt regulations. :D

It's an e-moped, not an e-bike.

Full stop.