Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Readytoride

13 wonderful smile filled miles for the narrow 2 hour 50°f (10°c) window Mother Nature provided on this Winter Solstice afternoon .

I was grinning from ear to ear just riding down the driveway - I had missed riding these past few weeks with the temps well below freezing pretty much every day, and I was bound and determined to drop everything to get in a ride.

I chose to do our local gravel roads, enjoying the lovely and oftentimes whimsical holiday decorations on many of the estate driveway entrys.

IMG_20191222_ChristmasRabbits.jpg

The roads were peaceful, serene, and very smooth, still a bit damp from the recent snow with only isolated tiny traces of that snow still lingering in shady woodland alcoves here and there. The deep freezes at night, and random car traffic during the day, had turned a few select bits of the road snow into road ice, and in some cases miniature streams and ravines, but all was easily navigated without more than a foot or two of detour. The woods are naked now, the last of the leaves long blown from the branches, and views once hidden by leafy trees are wide open.

winter-Solstice-scenery.jpg

It felt good to have my bike under me again, cruising effortlessly down those country roads. I had planned to do a shorter ride which would bring me home in 8 miles, but when I got to that turnoff I just couldn't bear to end to ride with the afternoon still warm and inviting. So....I continued on, opting to add a very hilly section that required low gears and maximum assist going up, and lots of work on the part of my disk brakes going down. It was well worth the effort as the road was challenging and I needed to get my heart rate up and use up a few of those pumpkin pie calories still lingering over from Thanksgiving dinner.

IMG_20191222_ChristmasTreeLane.jpg

Passed by a Christmas Tree farm with an appropriately named road sign!

Heading home on my gravel road loop I chanced upon one of my neighbors out riding her horse, getting in some quality saddle time before she flew out tomorrow to spend the holiday with family on the west coast. We stopped and chatted for a while, and made plans to get together (on our horses) once she returned. Then two miles later bumped into another neighbor out walking her dog. Again, a chance to chat and catch up on the news was a given, and by the time we said our goodbyes and Merry Christmases, the temps had begun to drop...rapidly.

I made it home quickly, already starting to get chill in my lightweight cycling jacket. A scant 2 hours later the temps had dropped to 35°f (1°c)

Tomorrow the weather forecasters have promised yet another warm 50°f day. Maybe a good chance to do 20 miles ...or more. I am ready counting down the days until the spring bike rides begin. :) 👍

PaD

A lousy photo to sort of prove I’ve been out on my bike.
I’m going to a dinner party tomorrow where we bring food and drinks to share and I wanted to deliver my share tonight. Tomorrow I’m first invited to Christmas lunch at friends house out on the islands where I often ride and later in the afternoon some of us go to the dinner party.
Don’t want to carry seafood and wine around the county tomorrow so this evening I put on warm clothing, took out my bike and had a nice ride for food delivery. 14 miles return trip. It was cold but above freezing point ( maybe 36°F) so no ice. We don’t have any snow this year yet, it’s been raining for weeks.

From all of me to all of you - A Merry Christmas

What a great thread. After 19 years away from cycling due to a knee injury I’ve just gotten my e-bike which arrived Friday afternoon. We’re in the middle of some warm weather in Missouri so I’ve been able to get out three days in a row. I‘m averaging about 20 miles a day and what fantastic fun! So excited to be back on a bike again. Looking forward to a softer seat and possibly a suspension seat post and some longer rides. In just three days I’ve already explored a few sights I’d not seen before. I remember now how a bike leads us to explore new terrain. I’ve missed this so much.

I’m in rural Missouri. Currently using a county road, recently fully paved, to ride 6 miles into Fredericktown, a small town of about 4,000. The road is quiet! I’ve met a farmer, raced a beagle and exchanged lots of waves. From there I’m still working out routes around town and places I might safely get to from within town. Today, my third day, was a ride to “City Lake“ which is a good sized lake that supplies water to town.

Looks like I’ve got at least another 3 to 4 days of riding ahead of me. I’m also discovering that with the assistance of the bike I’m actually able to peddle far more than I thought I would. Today I kept it on peddle assist 2. It was a slightly slower ride (on purpose) and I provided much more of the energy. But what a pleasure it was to come upon several steep inclines and be able to do them with just moderate effort.

First photo is one of the many streams in Madison County, the second is the above mentioned City Lake.

Attachments

Alaskan

What a great thread. After 19 years away from cycling due to a knee injury I’ve just gotten my e-bike which arrived Friday afternoon. We’re in the middle of some warm weather in Missouri so I’ve been able to get out three days in a row. I‘m averaging about 20 miles a day and what fantastic fun! So excited to be back on a bike again. Looking forward to a softer seat and possibly a suspension seat post and some longer rides. In just three days I’ve already explored a few sights I’d not seen before. I remember now how a bike leads us to explore new terrain. I’ve missed this so much.

I’m in rural Missouri. Currently using a county road, recently fully paved, to ride 6 miles into Fredericktown, a small town of about 4,000. The road is quiet! I’ve met a farmer, raced a beagle and exchanged lots of waves. From there I’m still working out routes around town and places I might safely get to from within town. Today, my third day, was a ride to “City Lake“ which is a good sized lake that supplies water to town.

Looks like I’ve got at least another 3 to 4 days of riding ahead of me. I’m also discovering that with the assistance of the bike I’m actually able to peddle far more than I thought I would. Today I kept it on peddle assist 2. It was a slightly slower ride (on purpose) and I provided much more of the energy. But what a pleasure it was to come upon several steep inclines and be able to do them with just moderate effort.

First photo is one of the many streams in Madison County, the second is the above mentioned City Lake.
Welcome to the playground. Wishing you lots of miles and lots of smiles.

Readytoride

24 miles yesterday on a very tough, very hilly gravel road route. 1,053' of elevation change. Twice found me standing in the pedals, pushing hard up a steep slope under full assist and low gear. It was the hardest ride I've had to date, and both my knees complained very bitterly afterwards, not inclined to give me any solace as I hobbled around later that evening.

But...the ride was glorious, the afternoon warm (50°f) and sunny, and the historic 18th century roads simply stunning (the road gravel having been pounded down into the substrata of dirt by months of passing vehicles until the road itself was smooth as silk if one ignored the ever present potholes). My route took me past old racetracks, foxhunt kennels, down into steep "hollars" and back up equally steep slopes for spectacular views overlooking the wide countryside.

No photos as I was intent upon cruising and had a time limit to get back home - I had left a hose manually siphoning water at the barn, taking water from one stock tank to drain into another, and had to get back before a certain time to prevent an overrun. (I did, just barely). Then left again, adding a few more miles to hand deliver a few Christmas cards to neighbors, stand and enjoy some quality-time chats with said neighbors, and then get back to do barn chores and get every one fed. By the time I finished the sun was setting and the temps dropping down towards freezing once again. The bike was tucked away in the garage, the battery brought inside to charge and then be stored while the holiday preparations took priority over any more cycling.

Next time out I'll stop to take pics. In the meantime, here is the Google earth shot of my route.

Merry Christmas everyone! I love this forum!

earth_postcard_1577174631.jpg

David Roy

Finally a day above freezing so the ice is melting. I got in a nice 25 mile ride while the grandkids were napping and their parents were resting. I had to walk down our icy driveway to the road but after that the road conditions were just wet. The shaded sections had more snow as one might expect but the sun felt wonderful in the open areas.
IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

RabH

What could be better than a cycle trip on Christmas morning with a clear blue sky? What a beautiful day for a 50 mile ride before the family arrive :D Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

EMGX

Merry Christmas!

I'm new to this forum and see it will take some time to check out all of the pictures here.
New (unsold inventory) to me Easy Motion Gravel X, I've only taken it out a couple times because it has been cold and rainy lately.

First ride 2 weeks ago was 36 miles, couple thousand feet elevation gain

20191213_122336.jpg

20191213_113855.jpg

20191213_140020.jpg

Alaskan

A 34 mile ride yesterday with my roady buddies. It was a 12 mile ride out to the meeting place so I ended up riding 58 miles all together. Al, the guy in the green vest, turned 74 yesterday. These guys are an inspiration, dedicated, enthusiastic, easy going and helpful. A dozen or so of us do two or three such rides a week, weather depending.

DSCF0161.jpg

122419ride.jpg

Last edited:

Readytoride

13 mile Christmas Day Ride. Warm enough at 49°f necessitating a lightweight jacket over a warm sweatshirt. I saw all of only three cars the entire ride. The gravel roads were very peaceful, and all mine. Had fun crossing one flooded road - wasn't high enough to touch the motor, but just high enough to make waves riding through. I almost got bogged down at the start when my front wheel hit the loose gravel, so in order to gain firm ground I moved to the deepest part of the stream which was running over solid ground.

That was the one exciting moment because the rest of the roads had only mundane potholes and a few uninspired ravines by virtue by the prior week's heavy rains. For some unknown reason, while the majority of high gravel roads were dry, the lowland gravel roads were all somewhat wet, although it hasn't rained or snowed in ages. I'm guessing the moisture is trickling up from the ground to the surface. It did make for very smooth, easy riding.

Part of the route was fairly level, only on the return leg of the loop did I have to deal with some leg churning, heart pumping, low gearing steep hills. Always gives me a chance to explore the gears in my bike, and to see exactly what my bike can do to help me make it to the top of the hill.

I have started using my "new" 2nd battery, switching off the two batteries on every other ride, just so they get equal usage.

IMG_20191225_ChristmasDayRide.jpg

shareImage.jpeg

Last edited: