Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Stefan Mikes

Ah, Steve! These shoes are so warm! And I see some benefits; your foot is always in the same position on the pedal; and it is a big incentive for carrying riding on as you avoid stopping!

Marci jo

Stefan Mikes, sorry you had a minor crash on your Vado. Glad there were no injuries. And some cheers for Mirrcycles!

I had a similar experience with my Vado shortly after purchasing it.

For many years I used spd pedals and cycling shoes on my non-powered bikes. Loved them! Great for hills, wind and efficiency. So of course I slapped them on the new ebike. On one of the first few new rides I was entering an intersection and a car came from behind trying to make a right turn. As I jammed on the brakes, my right foot didn’t release from the pedal and down I went. A couple Good Samaritans stopped to verify that only my pride was injured. It’s embarrassing to have witnesses!

Upon reflection a couple factors came to mind as to the cause. I wasn’t used to the weight of the bike. At super slow speeds if I allowed the bike to get more than 20 degrees from vertical then gravity takes over. Also the disc brakes were new and very sensitive. Not accustomed to stopping so quickly.

The best lesson was the realization that sps pedals are not needed! There’s a great motor and battery on the bike that annihilates any hills or wind and greatly extends the cycling range. So off came the pedals and the cleats (still use the shoes) and they’re collecting dust in the basement.

No more crashes for you.
Cycle on!

Stefan Mikes

Marci Jo, thank you so much for cheering me up!

I agree that the SPDs are not necessary with an e-bike. They are not hopeless, either. Practice makes perfect. However, when and if it snows, I'm instantly replacing pedals in my Vado with some large Bontragers and intend to ride in mountain boots. So far, it would be a pity to let such good and warm (and expensive!) shoes go to waste....

1580518505398.png

1580518603589.png

I must tell you @Marci jo that e-bikes have changed my life for better. I cannot stop smiling, so happy I am! With different illnesses developed over last 5 years, I wouldn't even dare to ride an acoustic bike on weather as we have here now. I am so happy that I was even skylarking after all those minor disasters :) :)

1580518860782.png

All the best to you! I hope this winter will be over soon.

Stefan Mikes

That was a wonderful day...

+12 degrees Celsius (54 F), absolutely uncommon for February 1st in Poland. Merciful winds. I changed the pedals to flat Bontragers and rode out on my Vado to meet my friend Jerzy in Warsaw. However, the practical range of my Vado now is only 45 km, so I had to take the WKD commuter train to Warsaw.

1580579618657.png

In 1925, there was parcelling of large estates in Poland. Mr Stanisław Lilpop, a Warsaw entrepreneur and the co-owner of industrial empire in Warsaw, had his land parcelled out. Predicting the future, Lilpop donated a strip of his land to the State, with the intention of building electric railway there. The WKD (Warsaw Commuter Rail) started fully operating already in 1927. That was also the beginning of the garden-city of Podkowa Leśna (Horseshoe-In-Woods) with the WKD main station in the very centre of the town. Recently, the railway rolling stock has been replaced with money paid by Switzerland as the EU participation budget. (Original railway was a British investment).

1580580344151.png

Poland supports cycling at many levels. The Mazovian Railways let you transport your bike free of charge at any time. The WKD offers free transporting of bikes on weekends, as there is no rush on its trains.

1580580544352.png

I met Jerzy at Decathlon Ostrobramska. Riding there from the very downtown of Warsaw (8 km in 18 minutes 44 seconds including stops at red lights) was just a fun! Saturday traffic in Warsaw is still dense, yet drivers respected me. Riding to the right-bank Warsaw (Praga) was downwind and downhill. What a pleasure to cross the Poniatowski bridge and reach the George Washington Roundabout at 47 km/h! Jerzy (73) is an avid acoustic bike rider. He did 7000 km in 2019. We both bought reflective windbreakers on this day :D

1580581451205.png

Having had coffee together with Jerzy, I was to decide what to do next. There was still plenty of juice in my battery! Quick calculation: Aha! If I rode via principal roads, there would be enough range to get home! So I rode straight home. Here, at the dusk in far Aleje Jerozolimskie (Jerusalem Avenues). If a Warsawer says "Aleje" (Avenues) he or she thinks of this long street extending as far as Pruszków. Far part of the Aleje is the home for high profile businesses. I have to add I have used as many bike lanes as I could (which is technically illegal for Class 3 e-bike here but nobody cared).

1580582081730.png

Last edited:

Saratoga Dave

Thought it would be. Not a ton of room inside the frame, but enough for a water bottle and that range extender if it ever shows up. Really like that bike, I’ve been super happy with my Tough Road. Looking forward to some more action shots with it.

Stefan Mikes

It was blowing even stronger than two days before...

I planned to see my first cousin Jacek (we actually address each other by "brother") at the Wolumen Market in north Warsaw. Jacek makes his living out of the television gear market and has his additional business at the Wolumen on Sundays. He helped me by buying a remote for a rare TV set my daughter uses. It was all very exciting and quite long trip, taking into account the 30+ km/h winds :) I rode out the Lovelec for better range and to be able to swap batteries en route.

What really positively shocked me was the fact I covered almost the whole route (30 km one way) via perfect, dedicated bike lanes! The local governments are very kind to cyclist here. There is very strong cycling lobby in Warsaw. They started with convincing former President of Warsaw, Ms Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz to appoint a special adviser for cycling. Now, it is almost a paradise for riders. Interestingly, the neighbouring counties and boroughs followed the suit. It is good to be in the EU that supports cycling.

1580682691287.png

Pictures from the return way. You can see the flags vigorously flapping. The bike lanes are often colour-coded to differentiate them from pedestrian ones. In this case, the bike lane is red.

1580683178279.png

The Wolumen Market in Warsaw. I grew up in Wawrzyszew, which had been a part of Warsaw but actually was a true rural neighbourhood (mind you, my grandpa had a black work horse Kary!) We were resettled to new homes in 1973, as a residential urban district was to be built there. Soon, a flea market was organised at the Wolumen Street. I was doing some petty trade as a teenager (and a punk-rocker!) myself back there in 1978/79. Later, it was a black market for stolen goods... and even later serious electronics market developed there. I came at the closing time. The market looks shabby; you can buy vegetables and rural food products in addition to electronics; but don't judge the book by the cover ;)

1580683699823.png

Yours at the train stop of Ursus-Niedźwiadek (Ursus-Little Bear; "ursus" means bear in Latin itself). There is a huge parking area for bikes there, at least by Polish standards.

1580684600217.png

A picturesque bike-only lane through Pruszków railway junction. In late 1944, in the wake of Warsaw Uprising collapse, German Nazi displaced all the survivors of the city (to demolish Warsaw). A temporary camp called Dulag 121 was created near the place.

1580684848441.png

"Refuelling" or battery swapping. By chance, the name of the street is "Electric Str." 🤣 The 576 Wh battery was good for 50 km at the high PAS level.

1580685093210.png

The last rest 5 km from home, at a tiny bus terminus in the village of Parzniew. Next dedicated bike lanes ahead, upwind!

1580686416281.png

Actually, I was ready for 100 km if not the early darkness.

Last edited: