Smart Charger Question

Sonoran49

During the winter I will be using my Smart charger to keep my battery at a 60% charge level. The owners manual states:
Smart charger:
Long term storage charge mode (60% charge)
∙ Connect charger
∙ Press LED2 button
∙ Charging will be done excactly like regular charging procedure, except: LED2 is yellow (constant) and Charging will stop at 60% (for long time storage)

What it doesn't say whether I should keep the battery plugged in all the time with the LED2 button pushed in OR if I should unplug the battery when it reaches the 60% level and then check the condition at regular intervals.

Does anybody know ?

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Whether or not you can leave it plugged in only the manufacturer of the charger can answer.
Me personally, for safety I would unplug it and check it periodically

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I should unplug the battery when it reaches the 60% level and then check the condition at regular intervals.
@Sonoran49: Unfortunately, you need to unplug the battery when 60% charge mark has been reached. I have tested that out. If you keep the battery plugged, the charging will continue to 100%. It made me very much surprised. One might have thought the charger is so smart it would stop charging at 60% but it only gives the indication when that happened.

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
With my DIY Smart Charger I can leave it plugged in ;)
So for example if you set the low and high limits to Samsung storage specs of 45.5V ~ 48V... or any numbers that you prefer as long as the upper is 0.1V higher than the lower it will keep the battery between those two numbers. It fully disengages the charger when it reaches the upper limit and will not turn on again until the voltage drops to the lower limit.
Me personally I plan to ride whenever it's not too brutal out so I haven't used it for this yet. Depending on how long you plan to store for and if you have a safe place to do so, it still may be advised to unplug and check periodically for safety.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Gionni, I suggest you stop spreading uninformed opinions, thank you.
You can connect any charger to your B****g battery (and the risk of the fire is with you) but I don't think you have ever owned an e-bike with upper segment motor and custom batteries/chargers. You are in a Giant Forum now.

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Gionni, I suggest you stop spreading uninformed opinions, thank you.
You can connect any charger to your B****g battery (and the risk of the fire is with you) but I don't think you have ever owned an e-bike with upper segment motor and custom batteries/chargers. You are in a Giant Forum now.
Uniformed? Seems your Giant SMART charger leaves a little to be desired in function and instructions..

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Uniformed?
In case you own a Giant e-bike with the 6A Smart Charger, you can express informed opinion. Do you?

1607867836861.png

That's what the Giant User Manual reads.

Unfortunately, I started charging a discharged (3%) SmartPak 500 battery in Long Term Storage Mode and after having forgotten to unplug the Smart Charger, I found the battery at 100% after a couple of days <--- informed opinion.

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Ok... And based on your informed opinion and the OP I made what I assumed was an equally informed comment. I just took you at your well informed word.
I'll go out on an uniformed limb and say that keeping a Giant battery...or ANY BATTERY fully charged for long term storage is neither desired or accepted practice... and 60% storage charge can not be maintained by leaving the Giant not_so_SMART Charger plugged in.
It's really not that complicated and only requires off the shelf parts as a voltage meter tied to a relay.
The fact that Giant or any other major manufacturer can't accomplish this just proves to me again that they aren't much smarter, and just as pompous as thier customers.
I mean after all... most don't even realize the potential benefits of a Throttle 🙃

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Gionni, I've always wondered how to tell someone he's an idiot without actually offending him. Ideas?

I see no reason to worry about it.

And if you read my initial post you'd see that I referred the OP to the manufacturer for the correct answer and explicitly mentioned the following advise was person preference.

But I'm sorry I stepped foot in your sacred Giant forum.... but it's a nice day here and I'm feeling froggy so I'm going for a nice long ride on my Bafang BBS02B and see if I can out pedal the throttle at the proper 70+ / 80 ideal cadence. 😘 (now does that answer your question? )