Sondors MXS review and info

mjorg

I've had my new MXS for about 3 weeks now. Some of you might remember me as outing Juiced batteries as being too expensive and Rad motors as being underpowered. I bought the Sondors MXS because their batteries are $399, much less expensive than most. If anyone has questions about this bike and my wants my opinion in general...lets get started!

mjorg

It is not as powerful as I expected. When communicating with Sondors they told me that they contract for more powerful motors than stock from Bafang. I wonder how true that is. My old bike is direct drive 1,000 watt Ecotric Seagull (cheapo). I expected the Sondors MXS to be slightly more powerful. It is where I need it at the very low end, and it has more top speed. But in the mid-range the Seagull wins hands down. Part of the problem may be the 27 1/2 inch wheels. Might be better with 26 inch. In most other ways I really love the Sondors. The frame design is very stable and I need that in the mountainous terrain I live in. I love that enough that I might buy it again (if needed). I say that because maybe... the Seagull is just a lot better bike than I thought. The other issue I have is with the battery. It seems shy of it's 17.5 Ah rating relative to the Seagull's 14 Ah battery.

Ebiker33

It is not as powerful as I expected. When communicating with Sondors they told me that they contract for more powerful motors than stock from Bafang. I wonder how true that is. My old bike is direct drive 1,000 watt Ecotric Seagull (cheapo). I expected the Sondors MXS to be slightly more powerful. It is where I need it at the very low end, and it has more top speed. But in the mid-range the Seagull wins hands down. Part of the problem may be the 27 1/2 inch wheels. Might be better with 26 inch. In most other ways I really love the Sondors. The frame design is very stable and I need that in the mountainous terrain I live in. I love that enough that I might buy it again (if needed). I say that because maybe... the Seagull is just a lot better bike than I thought. The other issue I have is with the battery. It seems shy of it's 17.5 Ah rating relative to the Seagull's 14 Ah battery.
Question, what is the amp rating on the seagull controller?

mjorg

I don't know. There are no specs anywhere. It's a little fin of metal pushed into a tiny compartment over the kickstand. I replaced the kickstand because it was way too small for the bike. That was a scary endeavor because of all the tiny weak wires stuffed into that small area. My Sondors controller gets very hot. I wonder how hot the Seagull controller must get given it's size. But, it works...

Ebiker33

I don't know. There are no specs anywhere. It's a little fin of metal pushed into a tiny compartment over the kickstand. I replaced the kickstand because it was way too small for the bike. That was a scary endeavor because of all the tiny weak wires stuffed into that small area. My Sondors controller gets very hot. I wonder how hot the Seagull controller must get given it's size. But, it works...
For reference my Sondors Fold XS is 20 amps, your MXS is 25 Amps, one thing most people may not know is that the controller amps really effects net power and speed.
Bolton Ebikes actually sells an upgrade for Sondors to 35 amps in the secondary market, this would power up any Sondors. He sells them for RadRovers too, and people that have upgraded have said it makes a huge difference.
If you want to compare Ebikes the most important thing really is the controller amps and the battery volts A X V =W
The "750W" nominal rating is marketing to keep it legal, the reality is much different.
Link
Controller Upgrade

mjorg

For reference my Sondors Fold XS is 20 amps, your MXS is 25 Amps, one thing most people may not know is that the controller amps really effects net power and speed.
Bolton Ebikes actually sells an upgrade for Sondors to 35 amps in the secondary market, this would power up any Sondors. He sells them for RadRovers too, and people that have upgraded have said it makes a huge difference.
If you want to compare Ebikes the most important thing really is the controller amps and the battery volts A X V =W
The "750W" nominal rating is marketing to keep it legal, the reality is much different.
Link
Controller Upgrade
Thank you Ebiker33. That is something I most likely will do in the future. I'm a little worried about enforcement of the class 2 law around here. You can ride class 2 without a license and insurance on all the hike and bike trails. A couple weeks ago I saw two guys on bikes that I know are 2,000 watts. They were going way too fast and too close to people for safety in Tempe Town Lake park. If they hit someone it would be damaging, and that will happen the way they were going. When there are enough e-vehicles and accidents happening enforcement will come. I guess as long as I don't go over 20 mph in public places I'll be fine. People are idiots. I almost got hit by a scooter last week. I plan on keeping this bike. When the motor wears out, I'll probably replace it with a 1,000 watt one. But I crawl when I'm around people. I just need the power for steep inclines. Thank you so much for this information.