Still in search of the reasonably-priced 1.25" hitch rack to carry my step-thru

KenS

I bought the step-thru as a town bike but I have often thought of taking it to other distant locations. The racks I see are approximating $500. I find it hard to justify a $500 rack for a $1500 bike.

Have you seen a reasonably-priced alternative for interstate speeds?

BigByk

When I bought my hitch at U-haul I noticed they had a display of bike racks. If you look at Uhaul.com you will see many of them. Just select "Hitches and Accessories" at the top and then "Bike Racks". I bought the Sportrack Crest Platform 2 . It says it fits only 2" receivers but that was not correct. It came with an adaptor for the 2" that the 1 .25" fits into. It was in stock when I was there, so I bought it. The website has many more options that fit your requirement. Just read the weight limits very carefully. Not all racks can accomodate a heavy ebike.

Last edited:

Cal1

Have you used it yet? I bought the Hollywood Rack and notice that the bike has a bit of slop when the hook is pushed down on the cross bar. They stress not over compressing the hook but the basic design (this hook style) is not that good for a sloping bar. Does yours have a loose feel after loading up? The ratcheting wheel straps seem to work well so it's not like the bike is going to fly off. Just doesn't feel as secure as my previous bike racks.

BigByk

I have used the Sportrack many times and it is very solid. I have a sloping bar and it is not a problem.