Sub $3000 Leisure/Commuter Bike For Hilly Area [Final Choice: Priority Current]

Achterbahn

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
Well, I decided today. The Priority Current is on the way. At 5'6" I ordered the small.

I was considering the Gazelle, the Priority, and the Serial 1. Frankly, the Priority won on price.
Gazelle C380+Serial 1 Rush/SpeedPriority Current
Price$4,749$5,599$3,299
TransmissionEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVTEnviolo CVT
AutomaticFALSETRUEFALSE
MotorBoschBrose TF MagTruckrun
Parts AvailableTRUETRUEFALSE
Class 3TRUETRUETRUE
Torque (Nm)8590140
Watt500
Battery (Wh)500706500
Ah13.410.4
Volt3648
Range (min mi.)202530
LightsTRUETRUETRUE
FendersTRUETRUETRUE
Internal routingFALSETRUEFALSE
Tyre Size28"27.5
Suspension ForkTRUEFALSEFALSE
RacksTRUETRUEFALSE
Weight55.659
Brakes4 Piston4 Piston2 Piston
Nice! How much did you end up paying?

I think the biggest strength to the other bikes is the motor. The truckrun motor is the biggest gamble here and none of us really know how reliable they will be. In terms of torque, I honestly wouldn't go by the manufacturer's number, as I am personally wary of taking an unknown manufacturer's word at face value. All that being said, the Current, to me, is a great deal of a belt drive at its price point, so I think you will be very happy.

Hasaf

It’s got a long wait time but I think Ride1up Prodigy will give a serious run for money to all the other mid drive bikes out there.
It has a lot of good features for the price. However, I was interested in going back to a belt drive.

GenXrider

It’s got a long wait time but I think Ride1up Prodigy will give a serious run for money to all the other mid drive bikes out there.
I'm interested in this bike as well. There's even more than one style. I like the idea of the quiet mid-drive motor using torque sensor based assist, but the reliability of those belt drive Brose motors is a concern as well. I don't know if there will be any customization of power levels like my R1U 700. R1U's website say the Prodigy has 9 PAS levels, which is a lot for a torque sensor based bike. For comparison, the R1U LMTD torque sensor version came defaulted and optimized for only 3 PAS levels. Specialized Como uses a Brose motor, has 3 assist levels, and has power customization using the Mission Control App to adjust the low and high power output for each assist level. Maybe it would be worth the extra $1000 for the Specialized for the power customization and Specialized support, especially without being able to test ride a Prodigy.

Marrduk24

It has a lot of good features for the price. However, I was interested in going back to a belt drive.
I have a belt drive non-electric bike and an electric bike with derailleur.

I personally feel a lot of times certain products get pushed on this forum as the “best answer for everyone”. Eg I see mid-drive bikes being recommended as the “best option” even when given the use case a hub drive bike is a better option.

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe their use case is different.

Last edited:

Hasaf

I personally feel a lot of times certain products get pushed on this forum as the “best answer for everyone”. Eg I see mid-drive bikes being recommended as the “best option” even when given the use case a hub drive bike is a better option.

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe there use case is different.
I had a Belt drive on my previous eBike. I had put a front geared motor on the front of that one. It is now on Long term loan to my sister. She needed something for getting back and forth from work.

So, Yes, I have used, and am familiar with belt drive.

Brian43ny

Region
USA

I have had my derailleur bike for 4 months now and have 800 miles on it. Zero issues so far. I expect to put on 2k-3k miles on it in an year. If once an year I have to go for a tune up and spend $100 to replace cassette and chain, I don’t see an issue with that. I have heard stories about people needing more frequent maintenance - maybe there use case is different.
I have a Current and the belt drive is fine but does need adjustment and checking. Have put a lot of miles on chain/derailleur with acoustic bikes and it never felt like a big hassle to adjust or take care of.