Suggestions for quality ebike priced <$2000-2500, cargo or similar, sometimes need to carry girlfriend who is ~135 lbs

JASmith

Region
USA
There won't be magnetic resistance on geared hub motor.
There's a clutch mechanism to make it "freewheel", which can benefit when costing, etc.

There's a hub motor called direct hub motor, which will give you magnetic resistance.
I explained that on post # 14 above already.

ElevenAD

What you are explaining can be reproduced and also dismissed easily in your home using a spinning office chair.

Stick your legs out and have your SO spin you and see how fast she can spin you from a stop.

Now do the same resting some kind of weight on your feet, and you'll see it just got harder to spin you.

Now tuck your feet under your butt or close to the axis of rotation at least and do the same, much easier.

Lastly put that same weight in your lap, and you'll see it seems to make no difference.

So unless the hub motor has a huge diameter, the weight really shouldn't matter because its so close to the axis of rotation to be a non-issue.

Especially if you go with a geared hub motor which should be pretty small in diameter compared to a direct drive hub motor.

Speaking of geared vs direct drive, the geared should freewheel when off but the direct drive should provide some resistance from the magnets, and its likely that drag that makes direct drive ebikes feel harder to peddle without power.
any hub motor is going to be harder to spin around than a couple of freewheeling nylon gears in a middrive i dont care if the motors legs are sticking out or not lol, have you guys ever even lifted an average hub motor? some weigh nearly 7lbs some even more.

Timpo

any hub motor is going to be harder to spin around than a couple of freewheeling nylon gears in a middrive i dont care if the motors legs are sticking out or not lol, have you guys ever even lifted an average hub motor? some weigh nearly 7lbs some even more.
One of the most popular ebike motors, Bafang G060 weighs 4.6kg (10.12 lbs) and even the lower powered 350W version weighs 4.1kg (9.02 lbs)

This is what I meant.. imagine trying to spin a 10 lb dumbbell right in the middle of hub.

JASmith

Region
USA
Oh sure, no one questions that, the debate was about "how much harder". Again, you're not spinning any of that chonky copper so talking about the entire weight of the unit is a bit irrelevant. Basically just the outer housing actually spins and its spinning pretty close to the center hub, so that short distance helps make it easier. I have pretty skinny legs and I had no issue on my test ride, so the debate is over the objective increase in resistance of a geared hub, not whether or not a theoretical increase exists. :cool:

ElevenAD

One of the most popular ebike motors, Bafang G060 weighs 4.6kg (10.12 lbs) and even the lower powered 350W version weighs 4.1kg (9.02 lbs)

This is what I meant.. imagine trying to spin a 10 lb dumbbell right in the middle of hub.
i had no idea that motor was so heavy! i imagine the fullfat 750 could be even heavier so yeah no fun!