Taking Your eBike RVing

L Johnston

Hi we recently got my wife a Trek Verve3+. She loves it. We're also thinking of getting an RV (maybe a Winnebago Micro Minnie). We obviously want to be able to take the bikes (mine a Trek MTB). She is concerned about two things: 1- the bike being in rain/snow, etc, and 2 - how to securely store them when at a camp site. I'd be interested in knowing if people on this site are doing this and what methods and precautions they might suggest. She would love to carry them in the trailer. One of the reasons we are thinking Micro Minnie is that there is a bunkhouse model that you can use the bunk area for storage if not required for sleeping. WE are currently unclear if the hatch (actually designed for egress in emergency for bunk occupants) would allow loading without really breaking the bike down. Not really our preference. We've looked at a few "toy hauler" concepts but they are real lite on the bathroom and sleeping accommodations if you really want to use it as an RV. I'm also considering a Verve3+ or an REI Co-op CTY 22.1 Bike which has all Shimano electric components. So really transportability and secure storage at what might be RV Parks, State/National campgrounds, etc.

AHicks

What are you using for a tow vehicle? If pick up, maybe set something to accommodate the bikes in the back?

L Johnston

What are you using for a tow vehicle? If pick up, maybe set something to accommodate the bikes in the back?
Good thought, but we do have a cover back there so that would have to be left open to all elements as well. If that is something that would be secure from a water/theft standpoint, I guess to keep the wind resistance down on the truck and add some storage, I would go with a hitch mount rack on the trailer? Tricky figuring all these things out. Thanks for the input.

Cowlitz

I don't think ebikes are as delicate as we think. I haul my Gazelle in the pickup bed. Then, at the campground I lock it to my trailer fender where it isn't sticking out. At night, I'm sleeping right next to it as the bed in my trailer is against the back wall and I also have a dog with me.
I thought nothing of leaving my bike out in a deluge. The bike is made by a Dutch company and they have wet weather there.

I've done the same with my Radmini. It suffered no ill effects. The Rad people said that as long as the water was coming down, the bike was going to be OK.

Check a hitch mount out carefully. I've heard that on my model of trailer, putting weight that far back can cause sway and affect the towing. I have a 17 foot long fiberglass travel trailer. I tow it with a long bed Toyota Tacoma.
DSC01376.JPG

Cowlitz

Here is my pickup. I use motorcycle straps to hole the bike upright and I made a rack to run the front tire into that also holds it up.
It
DSC00973.JPG

It was early spring when the picture was taken and I still had tube sand in the back.

6zfshdb

Check out this thread on the subject:

Scarecrow posted pics of an interesting product. It's the first post in his thread.

GypsyTreker

We carry two bikes on our Aliner. A 26 fattie and a 20" folder. When camped both bikes go on the rack with a cable lock and locking clamps that latch onto the crossbar. When under way the folder goes in the rig. The cover is always on if on the rack. That said....lots if camping, Zero problems. Naturally the batteries are removed and kept in the car.
The Prairie 2020.jpg

Hectors Ghost

I never pull a trailer unless I have to. It's not hard, it's just a pain in the ass mostly. I would opt for a great tow-hitch bike carrier over a trailer. They are easy to mount and dismount the bikes, it would be simple to secure them to the carrier, and when on the road you simply secure bike covers over them. You could go big-ticket and have a fiberglass hinged clam-shell top made to cover the bike. Plan for battery charging and storage inside or in a heated storage compartment. Baby your batteries.