The e-bike under exercising myth.

6zfshdb

Before switching to an e-bike 3 years ago, I could only manage around 20 level trail miles in 3 hours or so. My single day record on an e-bike so far is 64 miles in 5 hours. I'm also able to take on slopes which I tended to avoid on my MTB. I find I'm riding longer, faster and farther while getting the same amount of exercise I did on a conventional bike. I'm also riding more frequently for three reasons.

Number one is the e-bike makes the experience much more fun since I'm able to enjoy the scenery with less sweating and being out of breath.

Number two is the e-bike effectively extends the riding season. We have many hot & humid days here in the northeastern US which heretofore were not suitable for riding. I find I'm now comfortable riding at temps up to around 90 degrees.

Number three is the fear factor. For the last 15 years, I've had joint issues and I would ride in some fairly remote places. There was always the fear that I wouldn't be able to pedal home or back to my vehicle should my joints act up. That fear is now gone since I can rely on my e-bike to get me back should the need arise.

Life is good with an e-bike!

Marci jo

Before switching to an e-bike 3 years ago, I could only manage around 20 level trail miles in 3 hours or so. My single day record on an e-bike so far is 64 miles in 5 hours. I'm also able to take on slopes which I tended to avoid on my MTB. I find I'm riding longer, faster and farther while getting the same amount of exercise I did on a conventional bike. I'm also riding more frequently for three reasons.

Number one is the e-bike makes the experience much more fun since I'm able to enjoy the scenery with less sweating and being out of breath.

Number two is the e-bike effectively extends the riding season. We have many hot & humid days here in the northeastern US which heretofore were not suitable for riding. I find I'm now comfortable riding at temps up to around 90 degrees.

Number three is the fear factor. For the last 15 years, I've had joint issues and I would ride in some fairly remote places. There was always the fear that I wouldn't be able to pedal home or back to my vehicle should my joints act up. That fear is now gone since I can rely on my e-bike to get me back should the need arise.

Life is good with an e-bike!

Ditto for me!
Great description. It’s the fun factor that has renewed my love of cycling. Before ebike life I never dreamed of deliberately seeking out hills! My non-ebike cycling friends give me strange looks when I tell them I love hills.

BarryS

I did do 20 miles with no power on yesterday with some hills. After the initial shock, I was surprised a lot of time I thought I had the power on, but did not. I think the only difference was going slower up hills and shifting more on hills to keep cadence up. Work out was pretty similar if not a bit longer.

LOL You're just jerking our chains right ? ;)

Captain Slow

I would agree that some people riding an ebike would get far more exercise than if they didn't have an ebike i.e. they wouldn't ride at all. I believe there are many documented cases of people who were quite overweight and found exercise difficult. The ebike allows them to get started exercising as it makes it easier and something is better than nothing. So in those cases an ebike means more exercise not less.

However, on a given day if I decide to ride a conventional bike to work vs. my ebike then for sure I get less exercise on my ebike. One could say oh just go faster until the effort is the same. In theory that works, but in practice it never does. It would result in going so fast on some parts that you'd be endangering yourself or others.

I use a Garmin Fenix 5X Plus so I know my HR and I would say that my average HR while using my ebike tends to be about 20 bpm lower than if I ride my carbon road bike.

So in that regard it is true that using an ebike I get less exercise.

But then, the ebike allows me to ride every day of the week. If I'm tired, I don't need a rest day, I just take the ebike. So from that perspective there are days when I get more exercise because of the ebike. So overall, I probably get more exercise. A perfect example was this past summer. There was a Sunday when my group rode about 90 km's and 1,000 metres of elevation gain. I was on my carbon road bike and I was a bit sore and tired the next day. If I didn't have my Creo I would have bailed on the next day's ride, but instead I just took my Creo for a nice recovery day.