This happened..! Very upsetting


Well-Known Member
Fortunately, no one was hurt! still very upsetting.
More than 90 bikes were damaged!

We always try to avoid Li-Po's but Li-ion can be quite tricky at times. We are yet to find out the root cause.
The fire personnel are working on clearing the place. We received several calls from our local customers. Thank you for your concern.

We take this opportunity to insist on practicing safe charging methods for your bikes.


George S.

Well-Known Member
Nasty stuff. Really sorry, since you are a beloved figure around here.

I don't know. I charge LiPos outside. Luna says to charge their packs outside, or in the oven or grill. I doubt very many people do it.

They are developing batteries that shut down, internally, each cell, if they overheat, but the fusing does not destroy the cell. So hard to know what goes wrong.

If you learn something, let us know. Maybe I will charge outside for a while, with the warmer weather. Obviously the large numbers work against you.


Well-Known Member
Wow, very sorry to see that happen @Crazy Lenny Ebikes . Looks like that was the main store, hopefully there wasn't too much damage beyond the inventory.

I checked your website - glad to see you're being proactive on the sales side! Sounds like the fire was responded to pretty quickly if a lot of the bikes have only minor damage. Best of luck in getting everything back in order!
Last edited:


Well-Known Member
Very sorry to hear that Lenny.. I hope youre up and running soon!

Looks like a nice area.. Aside from the fire and all...


Well-Known Member
I ordered my second Ebike guessed it, from @Crazy Lenny Ebikes. I did not receive my shipping notice today so I called the shop. Turns out my new bike was involved in the fire. Just glad no one was hurt! Staff informed me they were working to get things in order. I am surprised they are already answering the phone.

Tara D.

Active Member
Woah, so sorry to hear this news! Glad everyone is okay! Hope you guys get back up and running soon!

Jack Tyler

Active Member
@Crazy Lenny Ebikes so very sorry to hear about your 'real' fire sale. Please keep us posted so those of us who were in the buying queue know when it's time to line up again. Here's hoping you have great insurance!


Well-Known Member
Susquehanna Valley

UPDATED Monday, April 25, 2016---9:40 a.m.

MADISON, Wis.---A fire at Crazy Lenny's E-Bikes was likely caused by a lithium battery inside one of the e-bikes at the store according to a release from the Madison Fire Department.

Fire officials said it's possible there was a fault within the battery.

They said about 100 e-bikes were in the store at the time of the fire on April 15 which accounted for about $300,000 of the estimated $350,000 total damage.


Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 --- 7:40 a.m.

Madison, WI --- A small fire broke out at Crazy Lenny's E-Bikes on Odana Road in Madison. The call came in just after 6 a.m. Friday. Firefighters contained the fire to that store.

Fire officials say the fire started in the back of the store but they do not know the cause at this time. No one was in the store at the time and no firefighters were injured.


Speedy Restoration Len!


I hope they get back on their feet soon. I love my e-bikes, but I admit this is always something in the back of my mind. I have three e-bikes and I remove the batteries and store them in their own individual steel tool boxes. I only charge them when I'm present. This gives me some peace of mind, but I've been considering building a concrete block battery bunker in my basement. The reality is that these failures are indeed rare, but when they do happen, they can do quite extensive damage. The amount of energy stored within these lithium packs is impressive.


Well-Known Member
Thank you, all!
The calls and messages we received were truly touching. THANK YOU.
Re insurance: we have a meeting with the insurance claim adjuster this coming Wednesday. They have been difficult to deal with.
We hope to remodel our main shop soon and keep all our employees.