Throttle or no throttle. That is the question

zipur

Region
USA
I wonder if Throttles were offered on the current Non-Throttle bikes. Whereby you had a choice, what would the market say.

m@Robertson

Region
USA
Cracked some ribs, among other minor injuries, on this endo over the bars. Motored home. (also bent the front fork a bit). Without that throttle I'd be done for.

Also the comments about how you don't need to use a throttle to start from a stop comes from recreational riders who don't understand the ramifications of using an ebike as a true automobile replacement. In particular what it takes to start a bike with a 560 lb total system weight. Its not just weight - which is significant - the big deal is balance at start. Over and over again from one red light to the next. The pic below was this specific 560 lb run from Costco. My speed home peaked (!) to around 8 mph so hot rodding was irrelevant to the need. I pedaled once I got going, as I always do.

IMG_20200801_112028.jpg

Poor planning on my part for not realizing how heavy a 36-pack of soda actually was. The 560 was the most I've ever carried, weightwise, but I've often been in the 400-500 lb range.

Throttles are a tool. Not everyone knows how to use tools, or even understands them sometimes, and thats OK. We can't all be experts on everything (although this being the internet ... :) )

EMGX

You throttle haters are legends in your own minds. If you are such strong and able riders go back to riding only non-assist bikes and join analog bike forums to trash e-bikes because you don't need one. I don't have a throttle on any of my ebikes although that is an option for a few of them. How is that relevant to someone who wants or feels they need a throttle on their bike? It isn't.

EMGX

IDK, but I think Bafang does that. You can buy a throttle or not. No big deal.
I have two bikes with aftermarket Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drives and two aftermarket hub motor bikes (one front, one rear), all of them have option of throttles. And one BH gravel bike with a Yamaha PW-SE mid drive that doesn't have a throttle option - unfortunately BH had the walk assist disabled for that bike. I would have liked and used the walk assist, or a throttle, last fall riding the "Old West Scenic Bikeway" in eastern Oregon on a very steep, long, section. Walking beside the bike loaded for touring would have been much better than having to push it up the hill.
And not to be an iconoclast but the two hub drive bikes with only cadence sensing are fun and able bikes which can handle everything I have wanted from them, YMMV. Everyone should ride what suits them without denigrating other people's choices and preferences.

Dallant

Region
USA
Cracked some ribs, among other minor injuries, on this endo over the bars. Motored home. (also bent the front fork a bit). Without that throttle I'd be done for.

Also the comments about how you don't need to use a throttle to start from a stop comes from recreational riders who don't understand the ramifications of using an ebike as a true automobile replacement. In particular what it takes to start a bike with a 560 lb total system weight. Its not just weight - which is significant - the big deal is balance at start. Over and over again from one red light to the next. The pic below was this specific 560 lb run from Costco. My speed home peaked (!) to around 8 mph so hot rodding was irrelevant to the need. I pedaled once I got going, as I always do.

View attachment 90089

Poor planning on my part for not realizing how heavy a 36-pack of soda actually was. The 560 was the most I've ever carried, weightwise, but I've often been in the 400-500 lb range.

Throttles are a tool. Not everyone knows how to use tools, or even understands them sometimes, and thats OK. We can't all be experts on everything (although this being the internet ... :) )
Throttles certainly have their place. Someday I may welcome one but not yet.