Tire/Inner tube combo question

zzRider

Question for you: I am awaiting my eAhora XC100 from Amazon. It comes with 26x2.0 tires and I've already purchased 2 Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5. Yesterday I picked up a 2-pack of Slime heavy duty 26x1.75-2.125 inner tubes (great deal on 2-pack - $12.96).

So is that a good pairing of the Maxxis Hookworms with those inner tubes?

(The tires/tubes from the XC100 will go on my wife's Schwinn Meridian trike which is now electrified.)

Thanks in advance.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
I'm using what is likely the same tubes in a set of Marathon tires with good luck to date - maybe a year after installing them. Don't know why they wouldn't work just as well in the Maxxis. I'm a BIG supporter of running Slime or something similar. Cut's my number of flats by a huge percentage.

zzRider

I'm using what is likely the same tubes in a set of Marathon tires with good luck to date - maybe a year after installing them. Don't know why they wouldn't work just as well in the Maxxis. I'm a BIG supporter of running Slime or something similar. Cut's my number of flats by a huge percentage.
Thanks for the reply, AHicks. I probably should have worded my question better.

I'm more concerned with the difference in tube width vs tire width. Will a 26x1.75-2.125 tube be OK on a tire that is 26x2.5? I know the tube will expand, but will it expand enough to accommodate the 2.5" tire width?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
You're fine.

zzRider

Thanks for the reply, AHicks. I probably should have worded my question better.

I'm more concerned with the difference in tube width vs tire width. Will a 26x1.75-2.125 tube be OK on a tire that is 26x2.5? I know the tube will expand, but will it expand enough to accommodate the 2.5" tire width?
So I finally got around to replacing the CST 2.125 tires with the Hookworm 2.5 tires. The Hookworms go up to 65psi and I put 55 in the front and 50 in the rear. Two miles later the Slime "extra strong" 26x1.75-2.125 rear inner tube had a blowout--about 3" tear on the seam at the inner radius and 4" from the valve. I don't know if the rubber band over the spokes slipped during install of the tire or I kinked the tube.

Huffing a 50lb. bike for a mile on it's front tire was a chore. Anyway, I had a 3rd Slime inner tube and have replaced it but only put 45psi in it, and have rode about 20 test miles (close to home!). I've also ordered a set of Duro inner tubes that go up to 2.3, which is closer for expansion over the .375" delta in tube/tire size that I currently have with the Slime tubes.

Another factor that has me somewhat nervous is that the Maxxis Hookworms are about 3/4" taller than the CST tires, requiring even more expansion of the tube.

Too much of a gamble? On the positive side, these Hookworms are whisper quiet and roll easier than the CST small knobbies.

Last edited:

Sierratim

Region
USA
City
Nevada City, CA & Paradise Valley, AZ
I had a blowout a while back of a tube/tire combination that I had ridden for nearly 1,000 miles. I had recently installed tire liners front and back. I installed my spare tube of the same size as the one that blew out and rode home. It's been fine for hundreds of miles.

The only thing I can figure is that I hadn't completley seated the tire beard in the rim, though I do visually check this at about 20psi before fully inflating. It looked OK.

Glad my flat kit was with me, it was 10 miles to home. 😎

Latitude

I am not familiar with slime. How do you put it in a Schrader tube, or do you put it in the tire?

AHicks

Region
USA
City
You remove the schrader valve, slip the Slime tube over the threaded area, turn the Slime bottle upside down and squeeze 6-8 ounces of product into the tube. Re-install the schrader valve, fill the tire with air and go for a ride to distribute the fluid.

Tars Tarkas

I am not familiar with slime. How do you put it in a Schrader tube, or do you put it in the tire?
As far as I know every bottle of Slime comes with a tube you slip over your Schrader valve stem, and you just squeeze it in. You have to remove the valve core first. Slime caps have a little valve tool on them, or you can use a real one. Instructions are on the bottles. It's pretty simple. One thing: there is Slime for tubed tires and Slime for tubeless tires. Get the right one!

Youtube Slime video

TT

Last edited:

zzRider

You can buy Slime inner tubes, or insert yourself with a bottle. They make sealant for a variety of motorcycles, bicycles, and small tractors.

I have both, but using the Slime inner tubes with my eAhora XC100.