Townie Ebike Conversion Wiring Question

AxialFlux

Member
Going to be starting my first ebike conversion this weekend on my Electra Townie, and I'm looking for ways to hide the wiring as best I can. I understand some of it can be routed thru the tube, where the existing cables go, but it seems like I would need to remove the rubber plugs, or somehow make the cable holes bigger. Anyway, if anyone has done a Townie, and can provide advice, I would appreciate it!
 

Attachments

  • 20200902_101536.jpg
    20200902_101536.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 66

JES2020

Active Member
Seems like a lot of work just to hide the wires...that said, looks like you would have to remove the rubber grommets, then if you still don't have enough room, you definitely would have to enlarge the holes, use a coat hanger to pull the wires through then, to keep water out you should reseal the holes with some silicon or something.

Why not just route them outside and use a few lock ties to secure?
 

harryS

Well-Known Member
If the Townie is an alloy frame, I'd leave the holes alone, because I don't know nothing about aluminum metalwork and would be afraid of weakening the frame.

What kit are you installing? The Bafang mid drive is fairly neat as far as wiring. Hubmotor kits can vary, especially if you have a larger controller box. I've taken to using the plastic enclosures used on many lower end commercial e-bikes.

The spiral wrap included in many kits is useful. You can wrap the electrical cables with the mechanical cables and it has a relatively neat appearance. Looks a lot cleaner than zip ties and plastic automotive loom.
 

AHicks

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Love the "neat look" as well, so I would start by removing the grommets. With 2 tubes available, and no grommets installed, I'm thinking you should have plenty of room available without drilling larger. With cables and wiring run, some test rides done to make sure all is well, then focus on carefully modifying the existing grommets, or maybe coming up with something custom to tidy things up. Nice project. Best of luck with it.
 

AxialFlux

Member
Love the "neat look" as well, so I would start by removing the grommets. With 2 tubes available, and no grommets installed, I'm thinking you should have plenty of room available without drilling larger. With cables and wiring run, some test rides done to make sure all is well, then focus on carefully modifying the existing grommets, or maybe coming up with something custom to tidy things up. Nice project. Best of luck with it.

I did remove a grommet this evening, and without the grommet, there is plenty of space. Just have to mod it a little, and I think I will be good.
 

AxialFlux

Member
Battery came in today, so I was able to mostly finish everything up. The wires fit nicely in the tubes, with the only issue being the grommets. I had to slit them so I could fit them over the wires, but now they don't fit in the frame holes very well. I see that the Townie Go! bikes have different grommets so as to fit the wires, so I may email Trek and see about ordering a set.

One thing that might be a problem, is the battery mount. The bottle cage holes are so far down in the frame that the only way to mount it correctly, would be upside down, and my wires are too short for that, plus it would look odd. I did find another mounting area on the lower part of the mount, just had to remove a plastic cover to get to it. It works fine, but I am concerned about the top of the mount not being attached to anything.

Anyways, here are some pics:
 

Attachments

  • 20200909_181048.jpg
    20200909_181048.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200909_175234.jpg
    20200909_175234.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200909_175244.jpg
    20200909_175244.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 87

AHicks

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Regarding the battery mount, if you would like to install an extra "hard point" or 2, maybe look into 1/4x20 "nutserts" or "rivnuts". It's an excellent way for a DIY'er to install a threaded hole into tubing. Simple install, and pretty sturdy.
 

AxialFlux

Member
Regarding the battery mount, if you would like to install an extra "hard point" or 2, maybe look into 1/4x20 "nutserts" or "rivnuts". It's an excellent way for a DIY'er to install a threaded hole into tubing. Simple install, and pretty sturdy.


I thought about this, and would like to have at least one more hard point...but I am not sure the best way to do it, since the Townie's frame curves away from the battery where the normal mounting points are. May need to print an adapter of some sort.
 

AxialFlux

Member
Decided to design and print me an adapter to better hold the battery. Seems to work good, although I did get my angles a bit off, but I had no issues on a trail ride yesterday!
 

Attachments

  • 20200912_123529.jpg
    20200912_123529.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200912_124505.jpg
    20200912_124505.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200914_173003.jpg
    20200914_173003.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 58

FlatSix911

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Decided to design and print me an adapter to better hold the battery.

Seems to work good, although I did get my angles a bit off, but I had no issues on a trail ride yesterday!

Well done on the bespoke battery cradle... just add a bit of rubber on the downtube to prevent slippage.

1600205223341.png