Trek Pedal Recall

Aurora Maven

OEM pedals are bottom of the barrel garbage and should be the first thing, followed by a new saddle and grips, to be replaced by any new bicycle owner.

With my Specialized Fatboy, I noted a very loud knocking noise coming from what I thought was my bottom bracket, which happens to be one of those built-in failed components waiting to happen with Specialized and that particular bike. On one long ride, as the day got hot, the knock returned as it always did on a long ride in hot weather. Even stopped in a bike shop and had the owner give a test spin to see if he could isolate the knock. He could not. It turned out to be the chineseium bearings on the pedal shaft, heating up and failing.

Any AutoZone or similar auto parts store will have a metric 3/8" drive hex head socket set and combined with your 3/8" drive ratchet, you too can install the socket drive style pedal shafts onto your own bike. No bi-directional horse phlooey torque wrench needed, either. Just some common sense not to overtighten it (if you really want to do a great job, use some anti-seize paste on the pedal threads. Your aluminum crank arms will thank you) and about some 25 ft pounds of torque or so will do you.
I bought some Meetlock pedals to replace my cheap OEMs and one broke after riding no more than a block! Pedal axle fractured! What pedals would you recommend? I don't want the ones that have clips. Thanks.

TrailSeeker

Region
USA
I bought some Meetlock pedals to replace my cheap OEMs and one broke after riding no more than a block! Pedal axle fractured! What pedals would you recommend? I don't want the ones that have clips. Thanks.

RaceFace Chester- I just installed these so I cannot comment on durability but they feel nice to me. They are platform and very grippy. One thing I will say is they are on the lighter side weight-wize, so as always it's down to your personal preferences.

Mike TowpathTraveler

Aurora: I use the composite OneUp pedal with pins on them and have had great service and many thousands of miles on them. They are about 50 bucks or so and well worth it.