Trek Rail 5 (2021) thoughts

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
So after more than a week of no riding because of a nasty virus (lots of coughing), I finally got out yesterday for a ride on the Rail. I love the bike and am learning more every time I ride it. It’s clear this is more EMTB than I’ll ever need but will take me anywhere I want to go.
Still hearing a bit of that light raspy rubbing of what I’m guessing is the rotor touching the pad now and then. What I don’t understand is that its a very inconsistent occurrence. I’m going to talk with my Trek LBS (who has been awesome even though I didn’t buy the Rail from him) about finding the noise and about tightening up the suspension a bit.
Beyond that, the bike is awesome and climbs like a mountain goat. Amazingly, my bum shoulder isn’t an issue on this bike, I assume because of the full suspension.
I bought a side entry bottle cage and small bottle (7”/ 20 oz) because the top-down load approach is just not gonna work. Got a Wild Man handlebar bag that is larger than I need to carry tools/tube/patch kit/phone. Also got a cheap set of fenders which will only get used when really necessary.View attachment 91109
I'll play little 😈 on your shoulder and whisper "keep it!" in your ear.
It obviously brings you joy and who cares if it isn't the best use of funds or 100% practical.... well as long as you're not turning ticks on the boulevard to put food on the table 🙃
My impression is that you're a good guy and a little self indulgence is well deserved...Not to mention it is one great looking bike! Enjoy! (keep in mind the source of that comment 😈)

Dallant

I'll play little 😈 on your shoulder and whisper "keep it!" in your ear.
It obviously brings you joy and who cares if it isn't the best use of funds or 100% practical.... well as long as you're not turning ticks on the boulevard to put food on the table 🙃
My impression is that you're a good guy and a little self indulgence is well deserved...Not to mention it is one great looking bike! Enjoy! (keep in mind the source of that comment 😈)
Yeah, it’s a keeper until I need the money or can’t ride it anymore! I’d be a starving old curmudgeon if I had to try turning tricks.😩
Truth be told, I’ve spent the vast majority of what I sold my sweet Miata for earlier this year on the ebike collection! Great trade off in my opinion!

Attachments

• BD5C9965-467C-4DEC-8901-A377C58098C8.jpeg
    BD5C9965-467C-4DEC-8901-A377C58098C8.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Dallant

Back in the day , my neighbour had an at1 / dt 125 . Baby brother ? I spent many hours blasting around paddocks on that thing. In fact, the next 10 years involved several blue smoke yamahas - all small bore ( dt 175/200, it 200 , wr 200) . I've never owned a big bore blue smoker
I don’t recall any blue smoke but that sucker had a ton of grunt! Like our fleet of ebikes!

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
Yeah, it’s a keeper until I need the money or can’t ride it anymore! I’d be a starving old curmudgeon if I had to try turning tricks.😩
Truth be told, I’ve spent the vast majority of what I sold my sweet Miata for earlier this year on the ebike collection! Great trade off in my opinion!
I know exactly what you mean. I'm often asked.. where's the vette? and to be honest, nowadays I much prefer a bike ride.
That said.. Beautiful day here and I already got my 20mi on the bike done with a nice stop in the park for breakfast. Off to see mom now and it is a nice ride with the top down 🏎️