Tuning Vado SL with Mission Control app

Dave1520

I have been playing around with tuning the 3 assist modes on my Vado SL 4.0 using the Mission Control app. Has anyone done this and if so, can you share your settings and how well they work Or why you set then that way?

Wanting to try different settings that others have found useful.

BEC111

I’ve been playing but have not yet made permanent changes. I’ve used the smart control which has helped me understand how different amounts of assist affect riding experience. I’ve looked at how others use the settings but am not yet ready to make changes.

One feature I may try first is creating new custom presets for different routes. Not sure this works, not what those settings might be, but I can envision a Eco2 setting at something like 40/75 for longer semi-flat rides where a bit more assist might be useful.

oh my, I mig(t need to do a lot more riding to test all this out. Good activity during COVID-19.

Nubnub

I also have a Vado SL 4.0 and have adjusted the assist modes a bit. Most of my riding has been in default eco 35/35 settings. This has provided enough assist that I can ride faster/easier than on my <20 lb road bike. I believe these settings will provide a max assist of 35%*240W or 84 W. My cruising speed on flat ground I am normally below 200 W rider input so I'm not even getting max assist from ECO mode. When going uphill, I will exceed 200 W and anything over 240 W would max out the motor assist in ECO 35 settings.

And also because I was annoyed that the default startup is Sport mode, I changed the Sport mode setting to 30/100. So now if I hit an uphill and need more assist than ECO provides I can get it. As an example if I produce 400 W - then 35/35 maxes out at 84 W assist. At 30/100 it provides 120 W assist. I've done A/B comparisons between the two settings and can feel the additional assist. So no need to change assist levels for times when my rider output exceeds 240 W. And because the support level is 30, I still do not drain the battery more than ECO when cruising normally. I will probably keep the 30/100 setting as my default and play around with changing the former eco setting (1) to an extended hill climb mode. There is a nearby hill that is 2000 feet rise in 5 miles - about 7% average with many 12-14% sections. Right now, it is a workout even in turbo 100/100 mode. But for lesser climbs, I think I will also want something more than 30/100 but less than 100/100.

BEC111

Thanks for your efforts and insights. I’ve been struggling to understand how the assist works in this context and your experience has really helped.

Kaskades

I am on a Vado SL 5.0 now with 90 commuting miles on the odometer. I tuned the Mission Control App as follows: Echo 20/35 Sport 35/60 and Turbo 60/100. So far it's working out for me. I am getting assist but also a nice workout on the bike. I mainly use "Eco" on my 8 mile commute and average 13 mph. I mostly treat the assist as a replacement for a 3 ring front de-railer on an anolog bike

This was an upgrade from a powerful Izip E3 Moda ebike that I recently sold that weighed 55 lbs but put out some power. I could actually ride faster on it than my new Vado SL but did not get much exercise.

Phyz

So easy to mess around with. Right now my settings on my Vado 4.0 are
E: 20-40
S: 40-80
T: 80-100

I’m happy with them for now. But who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Dave1520

I am noticing many of you have sequential settings without overlapping ranges. The ones I have messed with so far have overlapping ranges. I am going to try straight up sequential next ride. Thanks for the responses. 👍