Tobes2718

Region
USA
Hi,

After hearing about the concerns of electrical and fire safety of ebikes, I am looking for a UL certified ebike for the peace of mind that comes with the certification regarding electrical and fire saftey of ebikes. UL 2849 was established on January 2, 2020.

However, I have been having a hard time finding ebikes that are UL 2849 certified.

The only bikes I know so far are a few bikes made by Ecotric: https://www.ecotric.com/collections/ul-e-bike

I contacted Rad Power and via email they said that their Runner Plus and RadWagon 4 are, but I could not find anything on their website to confirm (anyone have one that can confirm this?)

Anybody know of any other UL certified ebikes? A UL certified ebike will have a sticker on the frame listing that it is UL certified:
UL2849StickerPicture01.JPG
UL2849StickerPicture02.jpg

Links on UL:

https://www.ul.com/services/e-bikes-certification-ul-2849
Youtube Video:

BlackHand

Region
USA
City
Western WA
My Bosch powered bike predates the 2849 publication, but the individual components have UL markings on them. According to the 2020 Bosch catalog their systems are certified
Screenshot_20210814-105532.jpg

Also, I know Bafang has received the certification but I have no idea which motors or bikes specifically have the UL 2849 marking.

PedalUma

Region
USA
You might also want to look into ISO/TS 4210-10. The international standard.
UL is reputable but is a little more like buying a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval sticker. It is a private company that sells the license to post its trademark on stickers on products. If you like UL look for UL 1642 stickers on Lithium Batteries.
How much does the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval cost? Pay the advertising fee once your product has passed the Good Housekeeping test phase. As of the date of publication, fees ranged from $70,225 for a black and white 1/6-page, single column advertisement to $610,205 for an advertisement on the back cover of the magazine.

harryS

I have worked with product safety in another life, dealing with UL. You can't buy an approval. Your equipment has to pass their safety tests, and they made their money running those tests, or possibly reviewing your tests in certain cases where that was allowable. It was also more than tests. They looked at the way the product was assembled. Most of this was focused on shock hazards, short circuits and fires. Our customer required UL certification, so we spent a lot of money on it.

Based on that experience, although I have yet to see the testing requirements for a UL approved battery, I would think it's rigorous.

J.R.

Region
USA
UL is reputable but is a little more like buying a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval sticker. It is a private company that sells the license to post its trademark on stickers on products. If you like UL look for UL 1642 stickers on Lithium Batteries.
How much does the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval cost? Pay the advertising fee once your product has passed the Good Housekeeping test phase. As of the date of publication, fees ranged from $70,225 for a black and white 1/6-page, single column advertisement to $610,205 for an advertisement on the back cover of the magazine.
I worked in manufacturing industrial/commercial products for decades and UL is nothing like Good Housekeeping. UL is more akin to SAE. UL sets standards and does testing, SAE generally sets standards from member groups testing. Governments and industries around the world rely on both.

Tobes2718

Region
USA
I agree, UL is a worthy indicator that the product is safe. They do do extensive testing and they look at all the components that make up the ebike (see attached - comes from https://www.ul.com/services/e-bikes-certification-ul-2849).

My original question still stands, does anyone know what ebike models are UL certified?

Right now the list is:
Ecotric Ebikes: https://www.ecotric.com/collections/ul-e-bike
RadWagon 4 and Runner Plus from Rad Power (can someone confirm this?)
A bosch bike of some model (whose sub components are UL certified)

Attachments

• UL2849Testing.JPG
    UL2849Testing.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 18
  • UL2849SystemConstructionAndComponentStandards.JPG
    UL2849SystemConstructionAndComponentStandards.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 20

tomjasz

I’d not worry about the BOSCH, PANASONIC,SHIMANO, and similar company batteries. A mojority of the flame outs are budget packs like UPP.

Ash Nazg

Region
USA
I spent years working in the burglar and fire alarm industry, where UL is involved in a lot of the ratings. While it wasn't quite pay-to-play, there were certain areas where regulations were ignored.