Ultra motor 30H error code quick fix.

greeno

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
San Diego
Just a quick comment on bypassing an error code if it comes up on your display. I got a 30H code on my display a couple of days ago while on a ride and what would happen was it would shut down about every 5 minutes while riding. Evidently the code is for "no comms between the controller and display or cadence sensor. Kinda like turning on system and not riding and it shutting off for non-use to save battery. So I knew there was a option in the display set-up to specify a "shut down when not riding" time. Mine was set to 5 minutes ( coincidence ) so I turned the feature OFF to allow the system to stay on indefinitely and no auto shut down.

It worked and I was able to finish my ride ( about 2 hrs).

I inspected the bike when I got home and swapped display and still had code so I knew it wasn't my display (750C). I then removed the plastic cover on the motor and checked the plugs and connections and all looked good. The green display male plug on the main harness had a crack in the plastic so possible the pin connection is suspect. Looked ok but... Long story short is I ordered a new main harness cable from Cal E-bikes and should get it mañana. I didn't want to remove the motor until I had the new cable in case that's the problem. If it's another issue I guess i have another spare to put in the box with the "other spares parts"

Just wanted to comment on the workaround if you guys ever have the same thing happen and how to bypass it.
 

greeno

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
San Diego
FWIW the motor is 9 months old and is the Ultra with the Archon X1 upgrade I got from WW. No bashing on brand or company as stuff happens for whatever reason. Motor has been perfect until now.
 

greeno

Well-Known Member
Region
USA
City
San Diego
Quick update. Got my main harness cable early so I dropped the motor and plugged in the new cable to the motor and then my existing display for a quick test and voila, no error code. So I pulled out the old cable and saw that a wire (white) next to the plug kinda got pinched under the motor probably when I first installed it 9 months ago and it just deteriorated from there. Looking at the new cable I noticed that it was shorter than my original but still had enough length to run internally but then I noticed I had two red plugs instead of yellow. Don't have brake cut-offs but use one plug for my shift sensor cut-off. Then I noticed they were 2 wire instead of 3. Looks like I ordered the Magura harness instead of the stock Bafang. Oh well I cut off one red plug and spliced, soldered, and shrank tubed the connection to a yellow plug from the old harness and came out great and you can't really tell by looking at it.
And yes going from the 3 wire to the 2 wire still works fine. Took it for a half hr test ride down in the canyon and all is good.

Morale of story. Don't smash your wiring and make sure you order the correct part and not be a knucklehead like me.
 

pushkar

Well-Known Member
Great stuff. I had not seen the 30H before so good to know this. :)

@greeno I believe there is a firmware upgrade issued in the past couple of months - please upgrade when you get a chance. This is a good interim update that takes care of an edge case with the 2300W version