Upgrade my RIZE RX - 1000 Watt mid drive

Sean C.

I'm just trying to head off the likely disappointment you will be facing after replacing this bike with another Ultra powered bike. There's no magic involved. If you can't get over 40km range with the bike you have, with another bike, even if it were dripping with quality and weighed half of what your current bike weighs, I doubt seriously you're going to see a significant increase in your range. Not without some changes in how you are riding the bike (assuming the bike is right/nothing wrong)....

At half of my weight, that bike should be able to run 50 or 60km pretty easily.....

Another idea, maybe stupid, but are you keeping the tires inflated to something near their max capacity? If they're too low, it could be like towing a boat anchor around in back of you, easily dragging your range down to what you are seeing.
Yes. every weekend I check the bike out. I might keep the bike just looking for upgrade suggestions.

Timpo

1000 Watt motor is great, better quality bike.
It seems like you weren't happy with the quality of battery though?

Since you're looking for another Ultra bike, (I'm assuming Ultra?) you were happy with the motor.

If you just want the better battery, you can replace it, but it's been done already.

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
It seems like you weren't happy with the quality of battery though?

Since you're looking for another Ultra bike, (I'm assuming Ultra?) you were happy with the motor.

If you just want the better battery, you can replace it, but it's been done already.
That's a thought Timpo. He could go with one of those ginormous aftermarket 25ah batteries pretty easily.

There's also the potential of making some controller programming changes too. That might be worth checking out/looking in to.

Timpo

That's a thought Timpo. He could go with one of those ginormous aftermarket 25ah batteries pretty easily.

There's also the potential of making some controller programming changes too. That might be worth checking out/looking in to.
Yea it seems like he was unhappy with the battery.
He keeps talking about better quality bike, but in the end, he was not happy with the battery, not the whole bike.
Just because he didn't like the battery (which already has been replaced), switching the whole bike is kind of redundant.. 🤔

Timpo

I've got a bad habit of upgrading to something better every year.
Correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like you just want a new bike.
It's not because of battery, it's more about just upgrading the bike than anything else.

Sean C.

Yes I like getting a better ebike every year, I save so much money commuting to work everyday using my ebike. Usually sell 1 year bike at approx 70% what I pay.

Timpo

Yes I like getting a better ebike every year, I save so much money commuting to work everyday using my ebike. Usually sell 1 year bike at approx 70% what I pay.
Have you thought about WattWagons Hydra with Archon X1 upgrade?
That bike will be hard to beat... so it will be extra hard to "upgrade" it for a while til technology improves.

ElevenAD

Im squirreling away cash for one of those now! With a 25ah Battery i think my RX will be perfect!

RunForTheHills

Region
USA
Instead of selling bikes and buying a new one, the most accepted formula for bike ownership is n+1, where n equals the number of bikes you have now. If the Rize RX is your commuter bike, perhaps you need something like a Vado SL to ride on the weekends or a mountain bike like the Hydra for the trails.

theemartymac

Instead of selling bikes and buying a new one, the most accepted formula for bike ownership is n+1, where n equals the number of bikes you have now. If the Rize RX is your commuter bike, perhaps you need something like a Vado SL to ride on the weekends or a mountain bike like the Hydra for the trails.
That was my unintentional strategy, lol

I bought a Rize X (750 hub fatty) as a starter bike last spring because it was available without a wait. I pre-ordered an RX Pro for September Delivery. I had planned to sell the hub after the new one arrived, but in the end I kept both and have set up the RX Pro as my commuter, and use the X as my weekend cruiser and townie. The RX Pro is fantastic for my long commute (40kms return) but just barely gets it done on one battery in summer. Cooler weather requires 2 batteries or a charge at work as I burn 60-70% each way with high assist - between 3-4. Range on the X is significantly better for lazy unscheduled Sunday rides, between 80-100kms, and the hub is powerful enough for city cruising if I avoid the monster hills.

I am thinking of grabbing one of those 25ah batteries next spring to try and get enough of a buffer on the RX Pro that I don't need to carry the second battery to work. I also agree the new 30ah dual battery options would be appealing on an Ultra since they are such battery hogs. Weight starts to get nuts though...

And I can squeeze 100kms out of the X with moderate assist settings, so with the 25ah battery on that bike, I suspect I could possibly eek out 130+kms. That pretty much exceeds my butt-hour capacity anyway. ;-)

Sean C.

I bought a Rize X (750 hub fatty) as a starter bike last spring because it was available without a wait. I pre-ordered an RX Pro for September Delivery. I had planned to sell the hub after the new one arrived, but in the end I kept both and have set up the RX Pro as my commuter, and use the X as my weekend cruiser and townie. The RX Pro is fantastic for my long commute (40kms return) but just barely gets it done on one battery in summer. Cooler weather requires 2 batteries or a charge at work as I burn 60-70% each way with high assist - between 3-4. Range on the X is significantly better for lazy unscheduled Sunday rides, between 80-100kms, and the hub is powerful enough for city cruising if I avoid the monster hills.

I am thinking of grabbing one of those 25ah batteries next spring to try and get enough of a buffer on the RX Pro that I don't need to carry the second battery to work. I also agree the new 30ah dual battery options would be appealing on an Ultra since they are such battery hogs. Weight starts to get nuts though...

And I can squeeze 100kms out of the X with moderate assist settings, so with the 25ah battery on that bike, I suspect I could possibly eek out 130+kms. That pretty much exceeds my butt-hour capacity anyway. ;-)
You have a link to the batteries, I'm not keen on the new setup with 2 batteries I would prefer 1 battery which can do the same as 2.

theemartymac

You have a link to the batteries, I'm not keen on the new setup with 2 batteries I would prefer 1 battery which can do the same as 2.
There are a few threads going on various channels, but here is the RIZE-specific one that has proof of fit pics.

Timpo

There are a few threads going on various channels, but here is the RIZE-specific one that has proof of fit pics.

Which Rize are you guys talking about?
The link provided was for Reention Dorado, which old Rize models used to have, but not the new ones.

theemartymac

Which Rize are you guys talking about?
The link provided was for Reention Dorado, which old Rize models used to have, but not the new ones.
He's currently got the old one. No one has reported receiving the new 2021 models quite yet, although delivery sounds imminent for some.

ElevenAD

And I can squeeze 100kms out of the X with moderate assist settings, so with the 25ah battery on that bike, I suspect I could possibly eek out 130+kms. That pretty much exceeds my butt-hour capacity anyway. ;-
Same here, 25ah pack will give me enough range to ride for as long as i would want! I hope to have enough loot for a pack from Jenny by late Nov!