Upgraded my brake calipers w/ TRP cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes

thatdude902

Yeah, I like the black-on-black look on the new levers much better than the stock chrome color. I might miss the bell, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I have a horn. Other than the rerouting of the hose through the frame (& thus brake bleeding), it's a simple drop in replacement -- I reused the old adapters for the calipers.

Attachments

spmckinnon

Yeah, I like the black-on-black look on the new levers much better than the stock chrome color. I might miss the bell, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I have a horn. Other than the rerouting of the hose through the frame (& thus brake bleeding), it's a simple drop in replacement -- I reused the old adapters for the calipers.
Nice it almost looks stock. Damn your cockpit is loaded up, is that a clock on the left side?

thatdude902

For those considering changing to hydraulic brakes, this sensor (though they seem to have raised the price, I got it for ~$14 for a pair) has the correct connector. The wire it came with is a touch longer than the stock wire. And for installing on the Shimano M355, it's best to fabricate some sort of a wedge, I 3D printed one, to angle the sensor towards the brake lever. The M355 has steel levers, so that works out perfectly for mounting the magnets. Just a dab of superglue and it's not going anywhere because the magnet helps hold it in place.

I only installed it on the right lever, easier to start from hill with throttle. And I used two 6mm magnets stacked + superglue between them, because the 10mm magnet the sensor came with looks bulky on the lever.

Edit: I put the files for 3D printed mounting wedge on Thingiverse.

Attachments

Last edited:

benriz

Thanks for the info. I have a Radcity and I "upgraded" to the mechanicals that pull from both sides and the improvement was minimal. My rear breaks do NOT stop well. I was strongly considering the TRP until i read this post. Does anyone have a good solution that preserves the cut off Which pads are better

vincent

I got the trp and new rotors for my radrover and thought it stopped a lot better...

But I did not try any other pads etc before that

FlatSix911

Why go halfway with a hybrid brake... just bite the bullet once and install a pair of full hydraulic Brakes. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

vincent

I did not do that because at that point don’t think there was a hydraulic brake kit that plugged into my radrover wiring and gave me the motor shut off

maybe with Bolton stuff there is but I don’t have that bike anymore Or I probably would

If there was a plug and play option I would definitely go full hydraulic and not do these but I don’t think that that’s true of all the bikes

dAz63

Yeah, thing is hydraulics are self adjusting, I did look at the hybrid system but dismissed it because of complexity, hydraulic is simple, no cable drag, and is simple enough to add the cutoff switches