Vado SL 5.0 downgraded to 10 speed

mschwett

Region
USA
"Belt and Braces" is a Pennsylvania Dutch phrase that is rare outside of Pennsylvania , New York, and Ohio. Means extra careful. How do you know it from Poland? Hollanders?
that's interesting; i would have assumed (without knowing the penn version) that it was simply a variant on the common phrase "belt and suspenders" which is pretty ubiquitous!

SpeccyLeccy

Region
United Kingdom
I'm not crazy about carbon forks either.
Ahead of my 5.0 arriving I was a bit nervous about the carbon forks / Future Shock until I watched this video...
(I'd maybe skip to about 5 minutes in for the single-track section). 😮
I felt a lot happier after watching that. I frequently take my 5.0 offroad on tracks (some of the roads around here are worse than the tracks too!).
The Future Shock could certainly be softer, I am around 65kg and don't have any of the extra damping springs installed, I imagine the Redshift may be more adjustable.

SpeccyLeccy

Region
United Kingdom
Spoke with Kinekt, they will drill the hole in their Kinekt seat post for me and I'll use a rubber grommet in that hole to route the wire through to use the under seat-mounted light.
I went for a lightly used short travel Thudbuster I found on Ebay. Managed to get the previous generation of post which is lighter than the current model (and Kinekt). DIY hole drilled and rubber grommet fitted. For the grommet I found I had to trim the rear lip of the grommet, so it is more of a rubber plug with a hole in the middle. I'd bought a selection of grommet sizes, so tried a couple of sizes to get a tight fit in the drilled hole and it has stayed put okay.

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
Ahead of my 5.0 arriving I was a bit nervous about the carbon forks / Future Shock until I watched this video...
I felt a lot happier after watching that. I frequently take my 5.0 offroad on tracks (some of the roads around here are worse than the tracks too!).
The Future Shock could certainly be softer, I am around 65kg and don't have any of the extra damping springs installed, I imagine the Redshift may be more adjustable.
That video is outrageous from my perspective - as an old guy.

Rincon

That is in my backyard. Those are my home trails. So many videos of Dirt Mulholland and the Santa Monica Mountains gravel roads. Hard to believe it’s all in the middle of a place like Los Angeles. I’m very lucky.

Here’s another local trail on the other side of Sullivan Canyon from the first video. Take ‘em slow or take ‘em fast, it’s all good.

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
Maybe that’s why you’re now an old guy, while others, some of them like mr fire road here, won’t ever be. 🤣
Yes, I threw caution to the wind ages ago. Now, well, caution is my middle name. In a little over a month I will be closer to a century than a half century!!!