Video: Solar Charging my E-bike Battery

Drew

This past year I've been using a portable solar system to charge the battery in my camper trailer. I recently upgraded the solar panels with an eye towards charging my E-bike battery as well. This an impromptu video of the system in use for the first time.

Solar Charging E-bike - First Test

Correction to the video: The voltage displayed on the Solar Controller display is the output voltage (to the battery), not the input voltage (from the panels).

Equipment I am using (links go to Amazon product pages):

(2x) Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Panel (RNG-100D) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Sunix 20A 12V/24V Solar Charge Controller (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Samlex Solar PST-300-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Alex M

If it were not Bosch battery, I would've bought MPPT controller that does 36V and charged battery directly. But, with trailer system already in place, the inverter route, although lossy, is often the easiest.

Last edited:

Drew

If it were not Bosch battery, I would've bought MPPT controller that does 36V and charged battery directly.

Interesting idea and my initial research into MPPT boost controllers has me thinking such a system could easily charge a 36V or 48V bike battery with only one 100W solar panel.

But as you've noted, what with my 12V house battery, the inverter approach is more practical.