Walmart 20" folder mid drive conversion

EMGX

This is the 4th bike this TSDZ2 has been installed on. 1st was a Dahon Jack 26" folder for testing purposes only, 2nd on my wife's Dahon Briza 24" folder which she doesn't ride anymore, 3rd was on a Cadillac Fleetwood beach cruiser type bike with a Nuvinci N360 hub - taken off that bike because the rear roller brake along with a front side pull brake were totally inadequate for where I ride. I've had this Walmart Genesis 20" folder for several years, bought it to leave in my car and ride after work but before getting home. For a $200 bike it is as good looking as a Dahon and rides nice despite the obviously cheap components. Used to ride it in pitch dark wearing a headlamp with coyotes and deer keeping me company on the trail. It's been sitting unused for a few years and since the motor was coming off of the Cadillac anyway I figured might as well give it a try, it's easy so why not. Took only ~10 minutes to take the motor off of the Cadillac. I had to do a little work on the Genesis for the motor to fit. Removed a standoff on the bottom bracket with an angle grinder and cutting disc where a folding stand was attached and there was a catch in the bottom bracket that needed a little trimming with a rotary file, then it slipped right in. Bike needed some general cleaning up and the rear axle bearings were a little loose so I cleaned re-lubed and adjusted the bearings - they had been very well lubricated from the factory. Weather permitting I'll take it for a spin tomorrow on my usual 22-25 mile hilly loop. I'm thinking with small 20" wheels it should do well on long steep grades. Will see if this is the Tongsheng's final landing spot, I'm running out of bikes to try it on.

Here it is where I was stopped by snow riding around Crater Lake several years ago - I carried the bike around 100 yards over this drift to where the road was clear again.
IMG_0270.JPG

Here it is on the stand this morning, weighs ~26 pounds before the crank assembly was removed.

20210608_091743.jpg

Edit:
That was quick, gave it a ride, bike was fine but not so much into a 20" bike anymore. Pulled long steep grades well but not that much better than when on the other bikes including the beach cruiser. Old good memories had more to do with where and with whom I rode it than the bike itself.

Last edited:

EMGX

I've finished doing what I am going to do with this bike. Changed from 6 speed 14-28 freewheel to 7 speed 11-28 DNP along with 7 speed shifter to match. 36v 10ah battery in seat post bag. I'll reserve judgement until after doing some longer rides but it is much more comfortable with the original handlebars and the WTB seat that I found in a parts bin.

20210614_190424.jpg

Last edited:

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Very interesting. Do you know what the Genesis weighs with motor and battery? The battery is in the seat pack. Correct?

EMGX

Correct, the battery is in the seat post/seat pack bag. I put it on a hanging scale and it weighed a disappointing 40 pounds. It could drop a few pounds without the fenders (which are fairly heavy although I didn't weigh them), the water bottle holder and with lighter pedals (these pedals are from my Cadillac bike and are heavy), but this is the way I'm going to ride it - plus carrying a pump/spare tube/bike multitool in a handlebar bag that will add additional weight.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Actually 40 lbs is pretty good. An Lectric XP is like 60 or 70 lbs. My non folding Como is almost 50 lbs. And there are lots and lots of those little Genesis folders around used and still in good shape. I don't much like 20 inch wheel bikes either, but it's still a practical little bike for a fraction of the cost of a Brompton .
Edit_ it's no theft magnet, either.

Last edited:

EMGX

The Genesis frame seems very good to me with excellent welds. Design same as Dahon and other higher price folders like Citizen, I'm sure no comparison to a Brompton, not that I would ever buy one. The components are basic but all function well including the brakes and derailleur. The only reason I bought it several years ago was for after work rides and since my truck had been broken into once already at work I didn't want anything expensive. I rode it enough to wear out the original tires, which weren't bad tires. Everything adds weight, even the DNP 7 speed freewheel felt significantly heavier than the Shimano 6 speed freewheel that had been on it.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Cheap plastic fenders and pedals would drop a couple of pounds as well. Be interesting to see how it performs .. speed, range, loading into a train or bus, etc. Nice build.

EMGX

The changes in handlebars and seat made all the difference. Still geared a little low but OK for now.

My usual 21+ mile loop with 1700 ft elevation gain, bike rode great.
20210615_125451.jpg

20210615_125503.jpg

EMGX

Excellent. I think @PedalUma used that little motor. What's the battery?
36v 10ah battery that I bought on Amazon, btrbattery is the seller. There are lots of posts about junk chinese batteries but I've had good luck with the 4 (2 36v and 2 48v) that I have from different sellers. Good range for my bikes and how I ride. Also good Amazon reviews, I'm confident that if there were unhappy buyers with bad experiences they would post reviews.

harryS

Here's my favorite little 20" folder. I believe it comes in around 36 pounds. Using a 250W AKM100 motor in the rear and a 25A KT controller, reprogrammed for 20A. Using a 36V4AH hoverboard pack in this pic. Wore out my DNP 11-34 at 3100 miles. My wife's folder wore out her DNP a half year later when her bike crossed 3100 miles. It's like a time bomb.

Attachments

• nova_1-2.jpg
    nova_1-2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 38

EMGX

I dream of a lightweight ebike with a throttle...
Tongsheng TSDZ2 motors are throttle compatible as long as you get one with 8 pin controller. This bike has an 8 pin controller so with a 8 to 6+3 splitter I can use a small display and could connect a throttle but I haven't installed one because I haven't had the need.

Last edited:

EMGX

Here's my favorite little 20" folder. I believe it comes in around 36 pounds. Using a 250W AKM100 motor in the rear and a 25A KT controller, reprogrammed for 20A. Using a 36V4AH hoverboard pack in this pic. Wore out my DNP 11-34 at 3100 miles. My wife's folder wore out her DNP a half year later when her bike crossed 3100 miles. It's like a time bomb.
Nice bike. The DNP has noisy ratchet and overall looks low quality but it is the only game in town, as far as I know, for a freewheel with 11t. What wore out, was it the 11t sprocket or the ratchet mechanism, or something else?

I'm pretty sure the 10ah battery on my bike would last >50 miles for my use so a smaller lighter battery would be nice. Do you have a link for a battery that you used? BMS? If it was cheap enough I might give one a try.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Nice bike. The DNP has noisy ratchet and overall looks low quality but it is the only game in town, as far as I know, for a freewheel with 11t. What wore out, was it the 11t sprocket or the ratchet mechanism, or something else?

I'm pretty sure the 10ah battery on my bike would last >50 miles for my use so a smaller lighter battery would be nice. Do you have a link for a battery that you used? BMS? If it was cheap enough I might give one a try.
For a range extender size @6zfshdb made some power tool batteries work. Posted recently. I'll post a link if I find it.
But really don't need a 50 mile range on that bike. Might loose a couple more pounds and get 30 miles.

EMGX

For a range extender size @6zfshdb made some power tool batteries work. Posted recently. I'll post a link if I find it.
But really don't need a 50 mile range on that bike. Might loose a couple more pounds and get 30 miles.
power tool batteries tend to be expensive. I have some Ryobi tools and four 18v 4ah batteries -got two with tools and two cheap because Home Depot had a store sale several years ago, they are all still going strong. A Ryobi 40v 4, 5, or 6ah battery sounds interesting but expensive. I hardly ever go to Home Depot anymore but I'll try to remember to check for sales on the 40v when I am there.

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
Range depending on your use case of course. You already have the battery pack on the bike, and it works. Thumbs up!
I must be turning in to a weight weenie, but most of the folders are too d##n heavy for me to lift 'chest high' to put it in a bus , a camper, a truck bed, or other luggage rack, and I see folders strictly as 'last 10 mile' transportation . You may be riding it for fun or a commuter without recharging a lot.

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
power tool batteries tend to be expensive. I have some Ryobi tools and four 18v 4ah batteries -got two with tools and two cheap because Home Depot had a store sale several years ago, they are all still going strong. A Ryobi 40v 4, 5, or 6ah battery sounds interesting but expensive. I hardly ever go to Home Depot anymore but I'll try to remember to check for sales on the 40v when I am there.
Yes, power tool batteries can be expensive. The whole idea is to use the ones you already have. Your ebike becomes another power tool with which to share the batteries.

If you plan to buy a battery, take a look at these from Grin Tech that match your 36V system:

They are stackable so you can add as many as you need to get the capacity you want.