Watt Wagon direct competitors?

Gee_Whiz

Answers from my perspective as an owner of a Crosstour with 300miles:

R&M has wonderful bikes. I've ridden many models. Their suspension is amazing. Shifting is sweet with the integrated Bosh/Rohloff system. But the power is lacking, and there's no throttle. Don't think you want/need a throttle? Then you've never had one, lol.
Watt Wagons builds exactly what I was looking for. Bafang 1000 Ultra and Gates, the best breaks, and best... everything. All the components are top of the line.
Pushkar's been wonderful to work with.
Delivery time? Don't know. Worth waiting for.
While it's not as uniform/sleek a style as bikes with proprietary integrated batteries (which can be a problem in servicing anywhere but the manufacturer), the Titanium is gorgeous! The bike is gorgeous.
VERY nice ride on both Crosstour and Commuter. Pro. I've ridden both. I thought I was sacrificing by not having rear suspension, but the top-end Kinekt post is perfect.
The 2000K option? Death wish! I went with the 1000W, and OMG it's definitely more than I need, and I ride fast! I rode my previous ebike in power level 5, 100% of the time. My WW has an ECO and SPORT mode. I ride in 1 or 2 (rarely 3) of Eco. I mean I was going 35 MPH on it recently! Scared the bejesus outa me, LOL. I tried it on 5 Sport once and immediately blurted out "Oh s**t! Oh s**t! Oh s**t!"

It's all about your priorities and what you can afford. I wanted the most powerful motor (with strong torque) available, with a Rohloff hub, a Gates drive and a throttle (and the brakes to stop it). The only folks I find in that market are HPC, FLX, and Luna. There's Optibike too, but they have no pedal assist, it's throttle ONLY). I won't go into my comparison of those, but to say I chose a WW.

Best of luck in your journey.
DAMN sexy bike and great post!!

Ebiker33

Answers from my perspective as an owner of a Crosstour with 300miles:

R&M has wonderful bikes. I've ridden many models. Their suspension is amazing. Shifting is sweet with the integrated Bosh/Rohloff system. But the power is lacking, and there's no throttle. Don't think you want/need a throttle? Then you've never had one, lol.
Watt Wagons builds exactly what I was looking for. Bafang 1000 Ultra and Gates, the best breaks, and best... everything. All the components are top of the line.
Pushkar's been wonderful to work with.
Delivery time? Don't know. Worth waiting for.
While it's not as uniform/sleek a style as bikes with proprietary integrated batteries (which can be a problem in servicing anywhere but the manufacturer), the Titanium is gorgeous! The bike is gorgeous.
VERY nice ride on both Crosstour and Commuter. Pro. I've ridden both. I thought I was sacrificing by not having rear suspension, but the top-end Kinekt post is perfect.
The 2000K option? Death wish! I went with the 1000W, and OMG it's definitely more than I need, and I ride fast! I rode my previous ebike in power level 5, 100% of the time. My WW has an ECO and SPORT mode. I ride in 1 or 2 (rarely 3) of Eco. I mean I was going 35 MPH on it recently! Scared the bejesus outa me, LOL. I tried it on 5 Sport once and immediately blurted out "Oh s**t! Oh s**t! Oh s**t!"

It's all about your priorities and what you can afford. I wanted the most powerful motor (with strong torque) available, with a Rohloff hub, a Gates drive and a throttle (and the brakes to stop it). The only folks I find in that market are HPC, FLX, and Luna. There's Optibike too, but they have no pedal assist, it's throttle ONLY). I won't go into my comparison of those, but to say I chose a WW.

Best of luck in your journey.
How comfortable is that Ebike compared to a R & M with a full suspension, your WW with a suspension seat post and fat tires?

pennybags

How comfortable is that Ebike compared to a R & M with a full suspension, your WW with a suspension seat post and fat tires?

I dont know if comparing hardtail to a FS is ideal. However I'd be curious to know as well. The specs on the WW are top notch so it might be a lot closer.

Ebiker33

I dont know if comparing hardtail to a FS is ideal. However I'd be curious to know as well. The specs on the WW are top notch so it might be a lot closer.
Yes but going from around 2.5" tires with full suspension, to a hardtail with 4" tires with suspension seat post, I heard was almost the same for comfort, but every Ebike is different.
This is why you see some EBR members switch their suspension front forks to solid ones with their fatties and they say they are still comfortable. Fat tires seem to have a very strong mitigating factor against impacts, especially at the correct PSI.

jharrell

Yes but going from around 2.5" tires with full suspension, to a hardtail with 4" tires with suspension seat post, I heard was almost the same for comfort, but every Ebike is different.
This is why you see some EBR members switch their suspension front forks to solid ones with their fatties and they say they are still comfortable. Fat tires seem to have a very strong mitigating factor against impacts, especially at the correct PSI.
I have both full suspension mountain bikes and more recently a Juiced Ripcurrent S with Kinekt Seatpost. The hardtail with 4" fat tires and good suspension seat post falls pretty short of the comfort of a full suspension. The Kinekt is by far the best suspension seat post I have tried and makes a HUGE difference over a rigid seat post but it can't make up for all the unsprung weight and a good dampening rear suspension with much more travel. The whole bike will reverberate over bumps through the pedals, the rear tire can lose traction if your not careful due to it bouncing which is what R&M talk about with "control technology". The 4" air tires absorb more than smaller tires but its not dramatic to me if you have them with decent psi for road efficiency and its not dampened so they tend to feel very bouncy.

So I am lurking here anxiously waiting to see what kind of FS mid-drive Watt Wagons comes up with and looking closely at R&M and other FS e-bikes as my next one will for sure be FS mid drive for comfort and control and performance.

Ebiker33

I have both full suspension mountain bikes and more recently a Juiced Ripcurrent S with Kinekt Seatpost. The hardtail with 4" fat tires and good suspension seat post falls pretty short of the comfort of a full suspension. The Kinekt is by far the best suspension seat post I have tried and makes a HUGE difference over a rigid seat post but it can't make up for all the unsprung weight and a good dampening rear suspension with much more travel. The whole bike will reverberate over bumps through the pedals, the rear tire can lose traction if your not careful due to it bouncing which is what R&M talk about with "control technology". The 4" air tires absorb more than smaller tires but its not dramatic to me if you have them with decent psi for road efficiency and its not dampened so they tend to feel very bouncy.

So I am lurking here anxiously waiting to see what kind of FS mid-drive Watt Wagons comes up with and looking closely at R&M and other FS e-bikes as my next one will for sure be FS mid drive for comfort and control and performance.
Thanks for your input on the question, good to know.
But WW has a FS Ebike here, you don't have to wait you can buy it now.

Of coarse we have that new thread with brand new Ebike coming too.

Last edited:

Taylor57

Yeah. I almost always peruse this site on my Mac. Check out some of the photo and route posts. Some great photography. I browse by 'recent activity' mostly and see just about all that goes on here. This is probably due to my severe jonseing while waiting for my ebike delivery. 😄
What bike are you waiting on Reed?

reed scott

What bike are you waiting on Reed?
My rebadged Frey AM 1000 from Bolton which Kyle says is on the water headed this way. And the grey Wattwagon with 2.8" tires Pushkar showed tonight. That's my bike you know. riiiiiighhhttt

Actually I'm going to get my Wattwagon in killer dark olive green.