What apps do you use while making a tour ?

Sunshine2021

Region
Europe
Yesterday I made a tour on my bike and used my iPhone 7 with Mission Control for statistics and komoot for navigation ( after I planned the tour at home). Unfortunately, after about 1.5 hrs my iPhone battery died. I am wondering is there a better setup to use for navigation in combination with bike statistics such as speed, cadence , etc.. What apps do you use ?

theemartymac

My old iPhone 7 didn't do well with active GPS as it got older and I would see similar results. My new iPhone 12 Pro Max has a massive battery and it doesn't seem to dent it on even long rides playing music too.

I'd suggest a charge stick if you want to track live with a detailed app, but otherwise finding an app that lets you configure the frequency of waypoints can help the life, but reduce the accuracy of your route. The other big thing is to turn the screen off while tracking and don't use it as a speedo at the same time. The screen is the biggest user of battery (Dimming it can help too), then the GPS.

retiredNH

Region
USA
More recent GPS implementations, the ones on newer phones, don't use that much power. Keep in mind an Iphone 7 is now 5 years old, ancient by phone standards. It's battery probably doesn't work anywhere full capacity.

I use a several year old Google Pixel. My bike, a trek Allant 8s, uses the phone as its readout, and has a native app, cobi.bike, that's quirky but usable. In a typical; 2 hour ride, I use about 40% of its power, and the screen is on all the time. The bike has a port to plug in the phone, but I don't bother since the phone's battery lasts long enough.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
BLEvo, a EUR10 miracle. Works with all Specialized bikes that can run Mission Control. 100x better than MC. And carrying a powerbank really helps.

Last edited:

Rincon

Garmin, Wahoo, Karoo among others make navigation devices with rechargeable batteries that last 24 hours and longer.

One of my bikes, a Stromer, has a USB port on it. I have plugged my iPhone into it to navigate. It keeps it charged indefinitely. An external battery pack could do the same. However I no longer use the iPhone for navigation. It is too fragile and expensive to put on my handlebars. Any minor mishap could be a catastrophe for the phone. I use a Garmin 830. The Garmin provides much more data as well, if that is important to you. I get navigation, heart rate, cadence, battery level, speed, temp, power in watts, laps, etc., plus peace of mind. I keep the iPhone in my pocket for photos.

As Stefan mentioned, I also use BLEvo for extended data on the Specialized Creo and Vado. But I leave it running in the background, on the iPhone, with the screen turned off, in my pocket.

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
However I no longer use the iPhone for navigation. It is too fragile and expensive to put on my handlebars. Any minor mishap could be a catastrophe for the phone.
Right. That's why I put an inexpensive (and lightweight) Samsung smartphone on the bars but keep my S21 Ultra in a deep pocket at my jacket back. (I use the expensive phone for answering calls and taking photos). Mind you, one of the most vital function of the handlebar-smartphone for me is the GPS navigation. Then, monitoring the e-bike (this one has no display: the smartphone is the display).

1619977083002.png

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Yes it works with any Specialized (TCU based) e-bike. I use it on Vado 5.0.
I use other apps for GPS navigation. Still, BLEvo records your ride, can export it to Strava and Excel, and makes many many great things for you.

BLEvo Advantages Post

steve mercier

Yes it works with any Specialized (TCU based) e-bike. I use it on Vado 5.0.
I use other apps for GPS navigation. Still, BLEvo records your ride, can export it to Strava and Excel, and makes many many great things for you.

BLEvo Advantages Post
Dont forget to mention the Mapy.cz app. That is all I use to find alternatives when I am riding. It found two bike trail routes for me that did not show up on Trailforks or Google maps!