What Bike is Best for Me?

MikeH

Hello,

I was thinking about purchasing an electric bike and wanted some suggestions. I am 6' tall and 175 pounds. I would use it to commute back and forth to work on nicer days. It's a three and a half mile trip, all on public, paved roads, with speed limits of about 35 mph. The trip there is moderately uphill. I'd like to be able to use the bike for three seasons, probably two or three times per week. I'd like it to go 20 mph. The battery doesn't need to last more than about 20 miles, but I'd like it to last for more than 1,000 recharges. Oh, and I'd like to spend under 1,000 bucks.

Any suggestions?

Brambor

That would be a bike you build. I don't think there are any noteworthy commercial brand ebikes for under 1000 bucks but I'm sure Court who has touched more ebikes than anyone on this earth would chime in. Court is sort of like Wilt Chamberlain of ebikes.

Ravi Kempaiah

Hello,

I was thinking about purchasing an electric bike and wanted some suggestions. I am 6' tall and 175 pounds. I would use it to commute back and forth to work on nicer days. It's a three and a half mile trip, all on public, paved roads, with speed limits of about 35 mph. The trip there is moderately uphill. I'd like to be able to use the bike for three seasons, probably two or three times per week. I'd like it to go 20 mph. The battery doesn't need to last more than about 20 miles, but I'd like it to last for more than 1,000 recharges. Oh, and I'd like to spend under 1,000 bucks.

Any suggestions?

This site is basically information overload for anyone searching ebikes...!!
If you spend a weekend reading the posts and watching reviews, you will feel like a pro who can build a bike or two :)
There are plenty of options and welcome to the world of ebiking.

Court

Administrator
Staff member
How about $1,500 then?
Hey MikeH, thanks for providing your info and needs... That makes it a lot easier to share some suggestions. I'm on the road in Florida right now reviewing some new ebikes so a bit less responsive on the site ;)

There's a section on the site dedicated to more "affordable" electric bikes and several fit your needs but may have some limitations. Do you care about pedal assist? Is storage a big concern... like do you want to add a rear rack and carry stuff? I think what I've discovered is that you can get less expensive ebikes but the trade offs end up being worth some extra cash when you realize how useful these things can be. That said, here are a few that fit your description:
  • ProdecoTech Stride 500 - at ~$1,300 this bike has the power you might want but the frame is shorter so you might feel scrunched and there's only twist throttle mode, no pedal assist. Also, the motor and battery are way at the back and you can't mount anything to the battery pack (like a bag or panniers). You might also have to order it online and assemble yourself. Other affordable, short ProdecoTech bikes could also work including the Stride R but given your size the Storm or Genesis could also work only they fold in the center so your weight might flex the frame more with these. For a bit more you can get the larger Oasis that has a 750 watt motor and solid frame but the you get into the price range where things get a lot nicer and I would suggest getting something with assist and better battery attachment design.
  • Motiv Spark - at ~$1,800 this thing has much better balance but still no pedal assist. I'm curious how you feel about the cruiser design? Do you like this or would you prefer a mountain bike look?
  • eZip Trailz - at just ~$600 this is the master of affordability but note the rear battery placement and funky motor configuration with an extra chain and side mounted motor. This is the bike many people who have lost their license from drinking buy... but I think the regret it when they realize how fun and functional ebiking is.
Have you seen the Pedego Interceptor? This thing is large and will fit you well. It has pedal assist and throttle mode and also comes with a great warranty. I'd share more thoughts but have to run, will check in later to hear your response and try to narrow down some more ;)