What brand and model options would you recommend

Noobebiker

Region
USA
My noob two cents here. I would pick a few bikes from each of the brands mentioned above (Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, etc.) and have both you and your wife ride them. I found ebikes to be quite different from standard bikes and in fact from each other based on motor type and power, drive trains, controllers, etc. I really didn’t know what I wanted until I rode quite a few. I bought a bike after riding 15 different ones. Good hunting and keep us posted.

Brew61

Region
Canada
All I can say is WOW, I feel sorry for the gentleman who started this thread to have it ruined by a few. All he was asking for was some help in finding some good bikes. I hope this does not turn him off of using this Forum ever again. There are a lot of good people here and a lot of good information to be had. For some of those who posted, please go back and read.

ebr-etiquette-please-be-kind.1952

My apologies to Pierre.

Please lets not derail this thread any further and just stick to helping him out.

Thank you
Bruce

Last edited:

Nomad

My noob two cents here. I would pick a few bikes from each of the brands mentioned above (Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, etc.) and have both you and your wife ride them. I found ebikes to be quite different from standard bikes and in fact from each other based on motor type and power, drive trains, controllers, etc. I really didn’t know what I wanted until I rode quite a few. I bought a bike after riding 15 different ones. Good hunting and keep us posted.
It worth more then 2 cents💰 good advice!

Pierre Chatelain

Region
Canada
Good day all,
thank you for the constructive feedback and options. We will finalize our online evaluations and comparison, get shopping and be ready for the new season.
To answer the question, Ottawa is indeed fairly flat and that is our typical weekly treks. We do rolling hills and limit or avoid repetitive high steep hills on our yearly trip.
AgaIn thank you. Line and Pierre

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Good day all,
thank you for the constructive feedback and options. We will finalize our online evaluations and comparison, get shopping and be ready for the new season.
To answer the question, Ottawa is indeed fairly flat and that is our typical weekly treks. We do rolling hills and limit or avoid repetitive high steep hills on our yearly trip.
AgaIn thank you. Line and Pierre
2 thoughts for you-
I would suggest you consider bikes equipped with a throttle. Bunches of reasons, especially when considering senior riders, but they're illegal in Europe, so none of the big 4 have them available....

I do all of my own work, and for that reason insist on bikes built with non proprietary parts that are available everywhere. The big 4 use MANY proprietary parts that force you to return to the dealer for tuning, updates, and replacements. That's if the part is even available (especially when considering older bikes).

tomjasz

That's if the part is even available (especially when considering older bikes).
I’ve had lots of contacts with kit builders that were far out of their league wrenching. For some reason there’s a myth that wrenching on bikes is easy. For some yes. My scratch build was an incredible experience, I would have lost it if I already hadn’t a couple of finished bikes. I also learned the value of nomenclatur,pe, search string structure, and the power of Google.

TrevorB

Go with a mid drive like Bosch or Shimano or Brose. Remember that weight is less relevant on an ebike. Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, and Trek are goof choices though if I were in the market to replace my Allant I would give consideration to Zen bikes whose owner frequently posts here.
We have a couple Moustache Xroads which are brillant trekking bikes. Also checkout, Cube, Merida, Gazelle. Go for at least 60nm motor and 500wH battery, 600-700wh is ideal. Higher spec bikes have better forks, brakes and drive trains. 10spd 11-42t is great place to start. You don't need identical bikes but having interchangeable batteries is big plus as you can buy an additional spare.

Most importantly do a few test rides of varies bikes.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
To the OP, it sounds like you have a plan and a decent budget. I retired about 2 years ago and we bought e bikes about last fall and have enjoyed them. We went we Trek Verve +3 bikes. There are lots of good choices. Good luck on the search.

TrevorB

2 thoughts for you-
I would suggest you consider bikes equipped with a throttle. Bunches of reasons, especially when considering senior riders, but they're illegal in Europe, so none of the big 4 have them available....

I do all of my own work, and for that reason insist on bikes built with non proprietary parts that are available everywhere. The big 4 use MANY proprietary parts that force you to return to the dealer for tuning, updates, and replacements. That's if the part is even available (especially when considering older bikes).
Throttle is personal choice thing, my wife and I have both had bad experiences with throttles on rental, activated by us unexpectedly. Good for getting off mark at lights while commuting but for touring no real advantage and they use lot of power.

Support of main middrive motors is mixed bag. As a rule these don't need servicing most are sealed for life.
Any Bosch dealer can service any Bosch powered bike as parts of drive system including batteries are standard Bosch components. All parts have 2 year Bosch warranty.
Shimano is much same except they do allow bike manufacturers make their own batteries or use shimano's.
Bike brands that use Brose and Yamaha tend to tune them for their ebikes, supply their own controllers and batteries. Specialize use Brose, Giant use Yamaha. I don't know if Specialize dealer would support another brand with Brose motor same for Giant

Any small bike manufacturer using Bosch or Shimano (+factory batttery) doesn't need to worry about dealer network as 100s of shops can support the drive systems. Drive systems are backed by Bosch and Shimano 2 year warranties. Bar frame breakage everything else is common bike components.
If Trek went bankrupt tomorrow drives would still be covered by Bosch warranty and dealers. It may not be that simple with Specialized and Giant not that they will be going bankrupt in foreseeable future.

I've had two Bosch motor failures, one in warranty and another just out of warranty in both cases support was excellent and bikes were fixed in a few days. Out warranty motor was expensive. From what I've heard Shimano support is just as good.