Which headlight is sufficient for trails at night?

gujer911

my acebeam L16 has this centre beam and surround hollow is like 25 percent of what u see in centre so yeah this flash light kind of does the job attached to the helmet and still not blind oncoming...

Timpo

I think Amazon was selling a whole ebike for $520 US ...
This one seems a lot cheaper.

ECE certified, $130 Canadian from Grin Technologies

Timpo

I just need to say the Supernova M99 Pro produces asymmetrical light with top cut off, same as expected from the car.
That's what we're talking about for whole time.

So I provided the link above, $130 Canadian which is $98 US at today's rate.
It's ECE certified, it has cut off too, so it won't blind other cyclists.

Look at the AliExpress link, it has nice beam pattern. Low Beam/High Beam switchable.

ki11a

I would much rather get a light that has a seperate rechargeable battery than run it off my bike battery, I can understand why someone would, but I definately would not....also yeah, the Outbound Lighting also has a light cut off line with an awesome light carpet.

That Ali Link Headlight looks ok if it was a seperate battery Id say it was a go. But because it runs off the bike battery, if its stats are correct @ 1900lumens and wattage @ 30.8W, thats not a tiny bit of power at all, I am pretty sure that will eat your battery up.

The batterys that come seperatley with all the highbeam type headlights are for a reason, and a good one at that...they eat up power and need good quality cells.

Pics are someone else who bought the light Im gonna get :O
1593715257__Image-from-iOS-(1)__original.jpg1593715254__Image-from-iOS__original.jpg

Last edited:

kurt_s

That's what we're talking about for whole time.

So I provided the link above, $130 Canadian which is $98 US at today's rate.
It's ECE certified, it has cut off too, so it won't blind other cyclists.

Look at the AliExpress link, it has nice beam pattern. Low Beam/High Beam switchable.

I have the Fisherfab also but I would have bought the Grin had I come across it (not in stock?). The Fisherfab will burn your fingers if you touch it after running at full output. I am concerned with being seen riding during the day at speed as much and night riding sometimes though where cutoff does not apply.

Timpo

I would much rather get a light that has a seperate rechargeable battery than run it off my bike battery, I can understand why someone would, but I definately would not....also yeah, the Outbound Lighting also has a light cut off line with an awesome light carpet.

That Ali Link Headlight looks ok if it was a seperate battery Id say it was a go. But because it runs off the bike battery, if its stats are correct @ 1900lumens and wattage @ 30.8W, thats not a tiny bit of power at all, I am pretty sure that will eat your battery up.

The batterys that come seperatley with all the highbeam type headlights are for a reason, and a good one at that...they eat up power and need good quality cells.

Pics are someone else who bought the light Im gonna get :O
View attachment 65728View attachment 65729
I would rather get a power directly from my bike, but in your case, all you need is an external battery.

there are tons of external batteries available.

Have you ever seen Cateye Volt 6000 ?

They have external battery too.

Last edited:

ki11a

Ah thats cool I didnt know they made little external battery packs with the connectors like that. Neat.

Yeah I was checking it out when I was looking at all sorts of headlights and what to compare and buy...the Volt 6000 is a BEAST, but its toooo expensive for me right now.

ki11a

Sure, I could add like, the 20 other pictures from other reviews that look the same, but Id rather not :p

I get your point though.

ki11a

I have the Fisherfab also but I would have bought the Grin had I come across it (not in stock?). The Fisherfab will burn your fingers if you touch it after running at full output. I am concerned with being seen riding during the day at speed as much and night riding sometimes though where cutoff does not apply.
I was looking at the Fisherfab before.... thing looks pretty hefty for a light, but it looks super bright.

kurt_s

I used to ride a 24hr moto enduro and we would create our own batteries to be just enough to last the night at the full output but not more weight than needed. My first intro to making batteries actually.

Full disclosure this is a friend from the moto side but I will vouch for their quality:

gujer911

Yeah Id be wary of anything that claims to be over 1000 lumens and less than 100 dollars.
rest assured this is us based link, and i have bought and returned a product which was not the right item i needed and rma was prepaid from seller, very nice seller indeed.