Widespread Giant motor creaking problem - time for a recall?

davidsmartin

Region
USA
My good news is that after I greased the three bolts and reattached them my creaking stopped!

My bad news is that when using my torque wrench to tighten the bolts, I broke the T30 bit. Three times. Even though I tried to support the bit and keep it at the right angle, by the time I was getting to 30 NM of torque, obviously I was not keeping the bits straight enough. Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid this problem? Should I just use an impact wrench and trust that I won't tighten it so far that I will damage the bike?

arcom

Should I just use an impact wrench and trust that I won't tighten it so far that I will damage the bike?

30 NM is 22 ft/lbs. For me, I can pretty much nail 20 ft/lbs by feel, without the aid of a torque wrench. Snug, but not gorilla snug. I think the important thing is to get them all the same. I would not recommend an impact wrench.

davidsmartin

Region
USA
Should I just use an impact wrench and trust that I won't tighten it so far that I will damage the bike?

30 NM is 22 ft/lbs. For me, I can pretty much nail 20 ft/lbs by feel, without the aid of a torque wrench. Snug, but not gorilla snug. I think the important thing is to get them all the same. I would not recommend an impact wrench.
Thanks. What tool do you use? A big screw driver? A battery powered drill/driver? I am having bad luck using wrenches.

arcom

I have a set of "T" 3/8" sockets. The T30 socket looks like this:
1630114508044.png

davidsmartin

Region
USA
I have a set of "T" 3/8" sockets. The T30 socket looks like this:
View attachment 98034
Do you use a socket wrench to turn it? I broke the tip off one of these with a regular socket wrench but I was not being careful with it. Then I got them somewhat tight by using one hand to keep the socket straight. When I tested it with the torque wrench it was not quite up to 22 ft-lbs. But it turned out that the big torque wrench was too hard to control and broke the tip off the socket. Probably that won't happen if I use the regular socket wrench and I am careful. Can you offer any advice?

Thanks.

arcom

Do you use a socket wrench to turn it?
Yes.
Can you offer any advice?
Make sure the Torx hex key is properly seated before tightening
Invest in a decent torque wrench with a range you'll find on your bike. I like this one:

gorse

My good news is that after I greased the three bolts and reattached them my creaking stopped!

My bad news is that when using my torque wrench to tighten the bolts, I broke the T30 bit. Three times. Even though I tried to support the bit and keep it at the right angle, by the time I was getting to 30 NM of torque, obviously I was not keeping the bits straight enough. Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid this problem? Should I just use an impact wrench and trust that I won't tighten it so far that I will damage the bike?
30Nm is too much for an M8 fine pitch thread. 22Nm is mentioned in that service manual and I wouldn't go above 20Nm unless you have a good quality wrench.

davidsmartin

Region
USA
30Nm is too much for an M8 fine pitch thread. 22Nm is mentioned in that service manual and I wouldn't go above 20Nm unless you have a good quality wrench.
On page 44 the service manual says:

1. To reassemble, follow the complete procedure in reversed order. The frame bolts should be tightened with 30Nm.

30 Nm is equal to 22 foot-pounds which is the torque that Kiwi Giant recommends in post #66.

I suspect my mistake was to use a big automotive torque wrench that was too hard to control. The T30 socket bit was deeply embedded into the bolt and it did not take much sideways pressure to break the bit. Now that I have a sense of how tight 22 foot-pounds is, next time I can probably do it with my small socket wrench. If that fails I will look for a higher quality T30 socket bit. Hopefully the fix will last for a few hundred miles and I won't have to try it again for a while.

Thanks everyone.

gorse

On page 44 the service manual says:

1. To reassemble, follow the complete procedure in reversed order. The frame bolts should be tightened with 30Nm.

30 Nm is equal to 22 foot-pounds which is the torque that Kiwi Giant recommends in post #66.

I suspect my mistake was to use a big automotive torque wrench that was too hard to control. The T30 socket bit was deeply embedded into the bolt and it did not take much sideways pressure to break the bit. Now that I have a sense of how tight 22 foot-pounds is, next time I can probably do it with my small socket wrench. If that fails I will look for a higher quality T30 socket bit. Hopefully the fix will last for a few hundred miles and I won't have to try it again for a while.

Thanks everyone.
Sorry, you're right - was looking at the SyncDrive Pro motor bolt torque values

Matt_D

Pity most cycling torque wrenches only go to 24Nm max. There's a few 3/8 inch torque wrenches that do go to 30Nm (at about 3-4 times the price mind you!), but they don't include the T30 bits.

Might have to simply guesstimate by hand like I've done the last few times. I did find that the creaking noise was still apparent after over tightening the mounting bolts post lube with moly grease. Someone said that 30nm is snug but not gorilla tight.

This is the kit i bought but clearly under spec'd for this job:

A5555811.jpg

Last edited: