Winter e-biking advices

dmark

Sorry, apparently Im lost, whats the 'ULTIMATE' winter setup :eek: :eek:, Its 5F outside right now, HELP ME. Are throttles better in cold weather:rolleyes:
I think there are more variables in play besides temperature for the ultimate cold weather setup.
If you are cycling through deep snow then a fat tire is good.
If you are cycling on slick ice then thinner tires with studs might be better.
In terms of keeping warm you will need less clothing if you are pedaling and more if you are using throttle only.
You might want to use throttle only if there is increased falling risk, so that you can concentrate on staying upright.
Especially if there is a significant risk of falling then I recommend having a hard armor layer; it will also keep you warm.
I also recommend a full helmet; some snowmobile helmets have face masks to redirect breathing away from your glasses/visor, but you could also experiment with painting masks or a snorkel if fogging is a problem.
Heated gloves and socks are an option for chilly fingers and toes; Savior makes an armored heated cycling glove.

Latitude

This week, I picked up a pair of Bontrager Velocis Waterproof Winter Cycling Gloves. And today, I gave my first one-star review ever. They were horrible on my ride in borderline rain/snow conditions today, with temperatures at 3C/37F. My fingers were cold within 1/2 hour and remained so for the duration of a 2 hour ride (with 3 stops to warm my hands under my fleece. My hands actually felt warmer when I took the gloves off). Indoors, more than 6 hours after my ride, they are still cold, wet and clammy. Called my Trek dealer, and they will refund, which I am happy about.
Update: I did return and exchange these gloves for a pair of Bontragers with 4x the Thinsulate value and the ability to put a heat pack into a zippered pocket on the back. They were on sale, so the exchange cost me only $5 and change. Have to say, my Trek shop is excellent.
Now also looking at a pair of Mammut Goretex lobster-style gloves for really cold wet weather. As a sailor on the Great Lakes I am a big fan of Goretex!

Last edited:

RandallS

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
First time ride today with some new gloves. It was cooler, about 3C when I started but quite nice when I finished at 13C. New gloves are from a company called 100% and the model is Brisker. According to sales guy at LBS, they are quite popular with the PNW crowd. My hands were very comfortable and the controls were easy to operate.

My only problem was the "touch sensitive finger tip" didn't work for me very well. But that's normal unless you can get a perfect fit, which I can't. My hands are wide, but with short fingers. My golf glove dozing is a medium cadet, but that type of sizing doesn't appear to be available at the shops I frequent.

Not a big deal, I think they'll perform adequately for my needs.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I just want to tell you Randall the company called 100percent is well-known in the sports gear business. I use very nice goggles from them.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Although nothing related to e-bikes, their batteries, chargers, parts, tools or most of accessories was lost in this year's fire of my house, I lost some vital clothing items, such as the winter helmet, two pairs of goggles, and several balaclavas. Now, I started buying winter related stuff again.

1631857780388.png

The lightweight Cairn I-Brid snowboarding helmet seems to be unavailable nowadays. I replaced it with UVEX P1us ski helmet. Fortunately, a pair of excellent 100% Accuri OTG Tornado goggles survived the fire, and they perfectly match the new helmet. The new helmet is heavier than the old one but it is very warm and it fits my head perfectly.

I was considering a visor equipped helmet. However, I could not be sure whether a skiing visor would ensure as good visibility as proven large clear goggles, so I went with a plain helmet.

1631858210969.png

I'm loyal to the domestic Rebelhorn brand of motorbike balaclavas. They make varieties for freezing and moderate temps. I have bought both versions. Here, the moderate temp version. I like these balaclavas as these are breathable and don't absorb the breath moisture.

Last edited:

Hasaf

Seeing as this thread has been kicked to life, I agree with having goggles. I am also a fan of studded tyres. Yes, I have experienced the difference.

I recently got a new eBike, replacing the one I had been using, and one of the things I checked before purchasing was the availability of studded tyres. In the past, I had trouble finding any road tyres with studs for the 27.5 size. I found that they are now available from Schwalbe.

I already ordered in case there is a winter rush on them. Of course, I have not put them on yet, they will go on about the middle of November. If it ever becomes available, I will probably order their tyre stud inserter and add a few more studs. That said, from experience, I consider studded tyres to be essential.

Of course, that is in addition to lobster claw gloves, goggles, and the like.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I’m considering trying my prescription scuba diving goggles that I keep on my sailboat for the summer, for winter biking in snowfall. If they work, I wouldn’t need to wear my glasses under them.
I've heard Rudy Project makes big prescription cycling glasses that act as a visor; and that such glasses are improbably expensive.

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
I’ve passed the 45NRTH Wrathchilds on to my brother-in-law and have had these puppies tucked away for several months in anticipation of the upcoming winter riding season.
View attachment 100259
I've donated the 27.5x2.6" Schwalbe Ice Spikers Pro to my brother as well! The coming winter would be the first one during which he intends to commute on my former Trance E+ 2 Pro. Jacek has embraced the idea of riding e-bike totally, as he found he comes to work faster with his Trance than he could do it with his car, and he does not come sweaty there.

Last edited:

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Pffffft ... that's only a few inches of snow with some good wind behind it (you can still see what's in the field). Call me when everything to the horizon is white and the parked cars are just a subtle white lumps. 😁
I understand that @mclewis1 :) (The blizzard was just starting to build up in the video...)

1631906719994.png

I was not riding when we had that kind of weather...

And I don't ride when Poland gets -25 or -30 C either. Now, let me ask you a question:
Do you ride when you are getting so much snow as you've just shown?

mclewis1

Region
Canada
City
Fredericton, NB
I understand that @mclewis1 :) (The blizzard was just starting to build up in the video...)

I was not riding when we had that kind of weather...

And I don't ride when Poland gets -25 or -30 C either. Now, let me ask you a question:
Do you ride when you are getting so much snow as you've just shown?
We weren't discussing riding and I'm not going to get into the infantile "mine is bigger than yours", or I can ride in 6cm/6in/6ft, or whatever.

Your comment "... Poland can experience hard winters too" was the reason I posted my somewhat humorous and satirical response ... and IMHO that's just not a picture of a "hard winter", just some temporarily annoying local conditions.

The picture of the stupid amount of snow I posted is a fairly famous one from the 2020 blizzard in St. John's Newfoundland. Similar conditions occur at some point during most winters somewhere in the Maritime provinces (because of additional moisture from the Atlantic ocean), or more occasionally really just about anywhere else in southern Canada (well ok maybe not Victoria BC ;)).

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Brwinów (PL)
Pffffft ... that's only a few inches of snow with some good wind behind it (you can still see what's in the field)
[...]and I'm not going to get into the infantile "mine is bigger than yours"
Not? How odd.

I said Poland was neither Minnesota nor Canada, did I?
P.S. It would be good if you could show me your Strava, thank you. Because this thread is all about riding. Winter riding, specifically.

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

Region
Canada
City
Red Deer
@mclewis1 - Maritimers are used to snow and are a hearty bunch. 👍I pity those poor souls who have no choice but to park their cars out front on the street. I've traveled to the Rock but only during the summer. Hard to imagine what it's like to deal with that much snow. Here out west we get our fair share of snow and bone numbing cold but over the past several years I’ve only been forced to bring out the snowblower from the shed less than a handful of times. Might have to look at selling it at as a global warming special. ;)

mclewis1

Region
Canada
City
Fredericton, NB
P.S. It would be good if you could show me your Strava, thank you. Because this thread is all about riding. Winter riding, specifically.
Strava? don't have one of those (yes I know what it is). I've posted many times in this or similar winter riding threads but if it's really important to you about my winter riding please open your favourite maps, look at Fredericton NB, Toronto ON, and Boulder CO and draw a 50km circle around each one. Fredericton is now assisted riding, Toronto and Boulder were pre ebikes from the late 80s to 2010. Now consider living in each of those locations without a car.

If you want to know what my favourite non winter rides were (when I was in better shape - I'd love to try these on an ebike today), have a look at the 100+km route from Frisco CO, Copper Mountain, over Vail pass, Vail, Avon, Eagle, and Gypsum (and for bonus points the addition 40k into Glenwood Springs through the spectacular Glenwood Canyon). Or for even more "fun" the 60+km route on US82 starting at US24, over the awesome Independence pass (~3800m), and down into Aspen CO.