Woohoo.. we are live with the exclusive new controller for bafang ultra.. and more goodies!

Timpo

Rohloff Gates Full Suspension SVC Strato
Rohloff Gates Full Suspension SVC Strato Bike 2 - INTERBIKE - 2017 Enduro and Trail Bikes - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Timpo

Lol, three of the worst riding fs mtbs of all time......

You can always pivot around the BB like Lenz does.

I just realized that Lenz isn't a good solution for mid drive ebikes.

You have to put a mid drive motor, which means, you would inevitably have to put the pivot point somewhere outside of the motor, since the pivot point can't be right in middle of the motor.

Something like BMW would work, but that's BMW.. they already have decades of experience engineering motorcycle suspension.

I think the most realistic solution would be something like Schwinn, I've ridden one of those 1990s Schwinn full suspension bike with Fox air shocks, and it worked fine.

Nutella

care to elaborate? why are they the worst of three all the time?

What about Trek?

Image result for trek y33

You're hitting home runs with all the URT bikes. The Trek Y bike was famously known as the "Why???" bike among my friends who owned them in the day, or commonly, as "The bike that kept trying to kill me". Here's the short answer, the suspension only really worked when seated, not when standing and descending at speed, when you definitely want it to. Plus, "The dark side of Klein's Mantra was, to some extent, the downfall of the URT concept as a whole. The two features that gave the Mantra its extraordinary pedaling performance: its high swingarm pivot location and biased bottom bracket position, interfered with its descending and braking performance and often at the worst possible moments. When descending out of the saddle and hard on the front brake, the rider's mass would push the cranks towards the front wheel, extending the shock, shortening the wheelbase and effectively steepening the bike's head tube angle. None of those traits are helpful while negotiating a technical downhill. All of them at the same time are just plain scary. " https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-short-turbulent-life-of-urt-suspension-mtb-history.html

Nutella

I just realized that Lenz isn't a good solution for mid drive ebikes.

You have to put a mid drive motor, which means, you would inevitably have to put the pivot point somewhere outside of the motor, since the pivot point can't be right in middle of the motor.

Something like BMW would work, but that's BMW.. they already have decades of experience engineering motorcycle suspension.

I think the most realistic solution would be something like Schwinn, I've ridden one of those 1990s Schwinn full suspension bike with Fox air shocks, and it worked fine.

Lenz does make an ebike, it mounts the motor above the BB pivot. https://lenzsport.com/mountain-bikes/interceptor-e-bike/

Timpo

You're hitting home runs with all the URT bikes. The Trek Y bike was famously known as the "Why???" bike among my friends who owned them in the day, or commonly, as "The bike that kept trying to kill me". Here's the short answer, the suspension only really worked when seated, not when standing and descending at speed, when you definitely want it to. Plus, "The dark side of Klein's Mantra was, to some extent, the downfall of the URT concept as a whole. The two features that gave the Mantra its extraordinary pedaling performance: its high swingarm pivot location and biased bottom bracket position, interfered with its descending and braking performance and often at the worst possible moments. When descending out of the saddle and hard on the front brake, the rider's mass would push the cranks towards the front wheel, extending the shock, shortening the wheelbase and effectively steepening the bike's head tube angle. None of those traits are helpful while negotiating a technical downhill. All of them at the same time are just plain scary. " https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-short-turbulent-life-of-urt-suspension-mtb-history.html
I didn't know that there was a proper terminology for this kind of suspension set up.
URT or unified rear triagle.. lol I'm an amateur when it comes to bikes so I have lots to learn .

Marcela

Re your belts, they are used as drivers for alternators, water pumps, and cams as most of you know. On a race car V8 that will turn 1000's of rpm, I ran them slightly loose as expansion of things when hot would not damage the belt, but tear up other things. On an oil pump drive, a belt guide was used on the crank pulley, the pump would be 'open' so the belt could be slipped off, this was a wider belt than you use and aligned pretty well with the pulleys and would not come off on it's own. The alternator and water pump used guides on both pulleys and the belts were the width you are using or thinner.

The only time a belt slipped was when it was set too loose on the oil pump, it chattered every once in a while but never damaged the belt, and tensioners were never used on any of them btw.

I would think it would take minimal amount of tension to keep the belt from skipping using my experience, but your application is different of course.

You might want to talk to these guys and tell them what you are doing, they will have experience that might apply to your application and they are good to work with. They also make parts.